Friday, February 15, 2008

Hungarian Goulash with Knoedel


Hungarian Goulash, like most food, has a special memory attached to it. When I was an exchange student to Austria, this was the first dish I ate as I was welcomed into the Schuetz family's home. Being someone who ate only peanut butter on wonderbread for most of my life, this looked scary to me. LOL But it was so good, I took the recipe home with me, and continue to use it.

My husband especially loves this, and wishes I made it more often. I don't only because it takes long to prepare (though sometimes I prepare and freeze the Knoedel ahead of time). We do have the Goulash by itself or served with rice or potatoes alone.

I loosely base my recipe on the ones found in "Das Grosse Sacher Kochbuch" by Franz Maier-Bruck, which is a good cook book if you read German.

First the Knoedel (Potato Dumplings).


Start off with
2 lbs of cooked and peeled potatoes (about 5-8 medium potatoes)
4 oz. by weight (about 1/2 cup) of grits
2 egg yolks
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 pinch of salt

Blend this together in a food processor, or using a potato masher. Slowly add 1 1/4 c. (9 oz by weight) of flour, to form a dough.

Knead on a floured board, then slowly form 2" balls out of the dough in your hands. Roll them in flour, set them on a plate, and chill for about 1 hour (or freeze for up to 2 months).


When I make these ahead and freeze, I usually lay them on a cookie sheet on waxed paper, then freeze them, and then put them into freezer baggies after they are well frozen, for easier use.

To cook, drop them into the simmering goulash or into boiling water for about 20 minutes. They will become larger, and float when they are done.

The Goulash:

Slice or chop 1 lb of onions, and lightly brown in 1 T. of oil with 1t. of caraway seeds. Add 2-3 cloves of garlic, and 2 lbs of stewing beef. Brown the beef.

Add 1 can of tomato paste, 1/8-1/4 cup of paprika, 3T. of onion soup mix (optional), and 1 lb of cubed and peeled potatoes. Add enough water to cover the ingredients by 1-2 inches (or more if desired--we usually add more liquid, especially when making it with Knoedel). Cover with a lid and simmer until the meat and potatoes are tender. You may use less potatoes if you are adding the Knoedel later.

After everything has cooked, add the Knoedel carefully, and let them simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

To garnish it, you may add parsley and/or scallions.

blessings ,
Kimberly

No comments: