Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Salad a Day...or more...

One of the things I am doing to lose weight is to eat a nice big salad for lunch every day, and we have long had a salad as an appetizer before dinner each night too.

Here's what I do: I buy seven (7!) Romaine Hearts three packs from the grocery store every time I go (unless weather is nice, and there is lettuce in my garden...even better!). I can eat a half a romaine heart for lunch, as it fills my bowl! I also purchase a bag of individually frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders (NOT breaded!). I buy whichever is on sale, but SAM's club seems to have the best deals on this.

Most of the time, my daily salad is a half a romaine heart, one small, grilled chicken breast (grilled on a cast iron griddle--grill side--in the oven), 2T of shredded cheese, 1 shredded carrot, and whatever other veggies I have on hand, including fresh herbs, onions, and so forth. I top this not with salad dressing (I can't seem to find one I both like and that is low in sodium, fat, sugar, etc.), but with a Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (in this case, roasted red pepper flavored, which I found on clearance at the grocers), and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar. I also lightly salt and pepper my salad.

Perfecto!

2 comments:

Tori said...

This sounds just like the meals my grandmother has eaten for years. She's now 85 years old and is still as healthy as a horse! I love salads, too. I'd much rather experience all those tastes intermingling than have something processed. Just wish I could get my husband on board:)

mamazee said...

Love this idea, Kimberly! this is the second time this week that a big salad a day type of idea has crossed my internetz - i'm trying the Four Hour Body thing (with my husband) and i've lost 5 lbs so far - but it's hard! Now i know what you were talking about when you were mentioning giving up white flour/sugar - this also means no potatos, corn, grains, fruit in small (tiny) doses... and no dairy. It's been crazy! But the salad idea might be what gets me through another week :)... The crazy thing is that it's working, i feel so much better, healthier, i'm sleeping better, not bloated... but i still crave cookies and crackers and soft white bread! LOL!