Monday, January 08, 2007

Growing Pains

I'm hurting. This past Friday, while dropping off some donations for Goodwill, I slipped and fell. Rather ironically, it was after I had already dropped off the several boxes of stuff that I dropped off. The concrete was uneven and I totally Charlie Brown'ed. I scraped my knee to the point of bleeding, twisted my ankle on the other leg, and scraped my shoulder up (thankfully I was wearing an old leather bomber jacket, as it also got scraped up really good, but protected my shoulder. ) I was picking gravel out of my knee for an hour when I got home.

Because we just got new insurance (an HMO no less), and I haven't yet been able to find a primary doctor, I didn't go to the emergency room. Our insurance (which I suppose is better than nothing) will let you pay all of the fees if it is determined it was not really an emergency. I am also not allowed to go to urgent care unless my primary tells me to go there. LOL So...I didn't go anywhere as I don't have a primary. This week I've been calling around trying to find a doctor in my group that lives near me and that can squeeze me in but everyone is very busy. A few people at church told me about some good doctors they recommend, but of course only doctors people DONT recommend at all seem to be in my HMO. In fact, quite a few of the "I wouldn't let my dog go to that doctor" Doctors (by the anti-recommendations from others) are listed in the book, which makes me very nervous about just picking one.

Thankfully though, it does seem, from other people who have looked at me "unofficially" who have some medical background, that I only sprained and bruised myself and didn't actually break or severely damage anything. Everyone seems to agree that the fact that I felt a bit woosy was possibly from the fact that I also have a very severe head cold and all that spinning on the way down (remember, I scraped both shoulder and knee...and a 37 year old body is not supposed to move like THAT LOL) may have made my sinuses all whacked out...I'm feeling much better just very sore.

ANYWAY....what a thrill, huh?

In the mean while, with my legs elevated and ice on both my knee and my ankle, I have been sitting here doing lots of things that I am usually too busy to work on...such as finishing up the Creating a Website Tutorial that I have been working on, and working on my taxes for 2006. Because my husband lived part of last year in Cleveland while trying to find a job in Michigan, taxes again are going to be something that are going to leave me pulling my hair out. Ohio has more different tax forms than I care to fill out, and Tax Cut doesn't handle all the local ones. As I told Martin last night, I sure do hope he realizes how much the good folks at H&R block would be charging him for all of the tax stuff I have to do with his constant job switching, consulting on the side, and whatnot. Job security for me ;)

Ruth is sitting at the table with me working out her business plan for her business. It is sort of funny to me. How many times have I dove in with both feet without really thinking clearly about something! I told her that her business idea is so awesome I want her to get a business plan together so that she can think it through clearly without just diving in and having it fail for lack of planning. At first she sort of grumbled about it, but after a few months of putting her notebook aside, and watching a friend of the family fail to follow the same advice from me totally fail in what should have been a very successful idea,she decided that maybe doing all of that boring stuff is possibly helpful. Not that a business plan guarantees success, but it helps people to think through what they are doing before they start....it brings up questions that you may or may not have thought of before, and makes you think about some of the tedious things that do make or break a business that most of us would rather not think about. Anyway, it's been both funny to me, and exciting at the same time to see her wrangle with each of these business plan questions and topics, and do some market research, and of course bathing her idea in prayer. The sweet, sweet experience of growth...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly,
you can try and find a doctor who fits you in mdjunction.com
i did :-)
adam