Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reformers Unanimous

For the last several months (since November, really), I've been attending our church's addictions program, Reformers Unanimous. No I am not coming out of the closet with some sort of addictions problem (thank God)but rather I wanted to get invovled and go through the program so that I could eventually minister to others in this program, and also just because I kept feeling like God was prompting me to do this for a while. I wasn't really sure why.
I've actually be so blessed going. I've had a lot of spiritual growth in my life again since I started going to Reformers. I have found that it is good for us, even if we have been saved for a while, to revisit those basics of the Christian faith now and then. The first portion of the program focused in on the basics of our salvation in Christ, and the finished work of Christ on calvary, and what that means for a new Christian. Instead of focusing in on problems and our struggles, this program focuses on the solution (Jesus). I only wish that I had this program available to me when I was a new Christian, getting over being an alcoholic and drug user, living a party lifestyle. Ironically though, much of what is discussed here are the very things that God showed me as I read His word as a baby Christian. I suppose it is because His Word and the principles He has set forth to govern our lives don't change...they aren't original with me or with Brother Currington (who wrote the Reformer's program)...but with the Lord Himself...the one who does make us Free Indeed. Woo hoo.

I'm already into the second part of the program, where I am studying right now the differences between True Love (Godly Love) and Self Love.It really has given me lots to think about....to meditate on. Like I said, addict or not, baby Christian or seasoned saint, it is so good to revist the fundamentals of Christianity. I have recognized in my own life the struggle between the perfect sort of Love that God works through us by His Spirit...and the sort of selfish love we have all been guilty of (doing things out of a supposed love, but with some underlying motive of personal gain and glory). It occured to me to ask myself when I do things, "Would I still be doing this if no one else was watching and no one was looking,and no one ever knew I did this?" Would I still do this "loving thing" for someone if no one else ever found out who did it?

In some ways I think of the legendary man Nicholas, Bishop of Myra (upon whose life the Santa Claus tradition is partly based)....details of his life are sketchy as he lived during the persecution of Christians by the Emperor Diolectician, however, as the story goes most of what he did was done in secret, employing only trusted helpers who vowed to keep this thing secret (though they told the story after the death of the man), and we will probably never know the fullness of the generosity of this man. Do I give to others in need to hear other's praise me or do I do it because I want to meet a need? What a challenge to think about that!

No comments: