Monday, July 30, 2007

Beauty only a Geek could love...

I'm up right now, at 12:24 am...when I should be in bed...we have VBS all week (bright and early) but I had insomnia. I have no idea why. When I got home from VBS today I couldn't wait to lay down and sleep but I didn't because I was too busy with other things...I actually went to bed early tonight only to be wide awake at 11:00. *sigh*

However, it was well worth the lost sleep....you'll see what I mean in a moment.

I just redid my website. Ok, so it was in the works for a while, but I uploaded it after finishing the parts that were finishable, and then I validated it with the w3c.org people (the ones that sort of "rule" the web). Anyway, it's one of those things only a geek could love--a website that validates XHTML1.o strict within 3 tries LOL

For those who have no clue what the sleep=deprived blogger is rambling on about...validation basically says whether or not your site meets their high standards for the document type you chose. Mine validated on the first try for CSS (impressive when you consider that though I design websites I just learned CSS a few months ago, and I did this all by hand), and on the third try for XHTML (also written out by hand.). The whole point of doing that is to make sure your markup was written out as best as it could be written....and to get that cute little logo on your site that identifies you as someone who stays up late at night making sure that markup which no one is going to see (unless they hit rightmouse click/view page source on the page) is actually valid. ;)


Wanna see if your site is valid? Go to www.w3c.org and scroll down til you see "validators" on the left side. Click "markup validator" and then type in your web address. If it is not "valid" it will give you a list of things you need to fix. if you don't understand something, you can click "HTML Tidy" to see how they would clean it up. it's more fun to figure it out yourself though...keeps the mind fresh :-D

Maybe I need to go to bed huh?

The next time I can't sleep in the middle of the night, I'm going to fix the bookstore's template!~!

1 comment:

Leila - mommyof4 said...

I'm glad to now there are other mothers out there blogging in the wee hours of the morning...

www.thecookfamilyzoo.blogspot.com