Thursday, August 30, 2007

And the winner is....OREGANO!

In the strange survival of the fittest smackdown in my herb garden, it would seem that Oregano beats all other herbs hands down, and that is not good news for my oregano plants ;).

5 years ago, when I first planted a large herb garden in the front of my house, the idea was to create an oasis, with a lovely cobblestone path that gently wove under a wisteria-draped archway, and through splashes of color and scents of my favorite herbs, and past a young apple tree, and a young cherry tree. Alas, that is not what happened.

That path weaves under a wisteria-draped archway (which had to be rebuilt with 4x4s because the wisteria crushed the other archway), past mounds of overgrown oregano, which has sometimes masked even the stone pathway itself, and which completely surrounds both trees, and even grows under the archway, and as you approach it.

I discussed this with my favorite plant person at my favorite nursery and her sage advice was, "Why did you plant so much oregano?" That's the thing. I didn't. I planted two wee little plants, looking oh so innocent. ;) I actually took the precautions with my mint by placing that in a spot where it would not likely sprall everywhere (as mint is prone to do), and instead, the Oregano so took over that it has overgrown the area where the mint was too. The mint looks straggly and barely alive amidst all of that oregano. Then there's the lemon balm, which also started to take over...though the oregano and lemon balm appear to have been evenly matched, and thus the lemon balm remained in it's own corner of the garden, and looks ok when I remember to trim it.

Today, after we were done with school, the kids and I went out and pulled 5 large wheelbarrows full of oregano out of the herb garden AGAIN. (I say again because we started this job in the spring, but what we pulled out grew back...and we were sure we got all of the roots). The garden could look so nice if everything would just stay in it's designated spot. LOL

Under all of that oregano, as I was reaching in and pulling out with leather gloves on, I suddenly felt something sharp and found my long lost dog rosebush (oh, there you are! LOL I was wondering where my 10 year anniversary gift went!!), and it seemed quite happy when I pulled the oregano off of it, if rose bushes can be happy. Within a matter of an hour, it already looked more perky.

While cleaning the garden we also found some of the stepping stones from the first pathway that got swallowed up by oregano (before I switched to a cobble stone concrete mold LOL).

Next on the list is to weed better in the back garden, near the grape vine. I don't know how weeds grow so fast in that particular area, but with grapes nearly ripe we need to have it cleared for walking and picking. I wish I could post smells on my blog (would that not be cool???) because there is NOTHING quite like the smell of your garden when your grapes are ripening. It takes me back to being on the Danube river in a vineyard, helping pick grapes one November too many years ago...They look so pretty on the grape vine too. I'm going to post a picture soon (when, ah, the weeds are gone! LOL)

So, moral of the story: Oregano should also be potted to keep from spreading, and don't ever let it go to seed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's always Basil around here!
love you!
Penny

ChicoryChick said...

I am so glad I didnt plant Oregano now. I planted basil which has done great, but now after reading Penny's comment, I am wondering about next year because it did go to seed. My dill has done great this year also!

TEXAUS MOMMA said...

Hello, Kimberly (that's my middle name!) I am a newbie to your site...but I recently purchased a few of your ebooks and thoroughly enjoyed them! I too am trying to establish a good garden for my family, and had a blast this summer, and learned a lot too! I too am wanting a garden that is productive, while attractive! I wanted to ask if you minded me asking you a couple of questions as to gardening as your garden is pretty much what I have been aiming for? I'll tack them on here, and if you don't have time, I understand as I am a busy momma too, with 4 kids 7 and under. OK...How many raspberry/blackberry plants would you need for a family of 6 to provide enough fresh and plenty for canning/freezing/jam/pie fillings etc. Do you recommend thornless or thorny (I'd like the kids to be able to pick them without too much pain, but don't want to sacrifice flavour either!) (tha't my main question, is how much do I need....tomatoes, pickles) I too would like currants, have planted a red lake, but it's not doing so great...husband loves blackcurrant juice. I too have been looking into espaliers...it was like reading a book I had written myself! LOL Hope you are doing well, and I truly hope this isn't a bother for you! You have been a blessing to me already...Thank you!

Narelle