Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Was it worth the $25?

It was one of those days yesterday.

My inlaws wanted to have my daughter Isobel over for a few days, seeing as how they have had each of the other kids over during different parts of the summer. I decided to drive her down to the detroit area myself because I had some shopping to do, at J.C. Penny. See, Martin gets giftcard things from his gas card for spending so much each week on gas going to and from work, and this week it was a JC Penny gift card. No JC Penny's near us, so we had to go to the big city....to make a long story short. So he gave me a little receipt, and sent me on my way.

I dropped all of the kids off for some quality time with their grandparents and went to the mall, to cash in my money at JC Pennys. Maybe I am just out of touch from living in the country so long but I felt like I was transported to another planet or maybe another dimension when I walked through the mall doors. I felt like country mouse visiting his city cousin. I might as well have been wearing a denim overalls with the red bandana around my neck and a piece of wheat grass sticking out from between my teeth with a straw hat on...I had dressed up a bit because I knew I'd be shopping with the "beautiful people" (LOL) but I still felt like a hick in what I was wearing.

First stop was the ladies department as I was hoping to find a nice church dress, especially since I am just now learning to play piano at the age of 37 (and hve been put on the piano rotation by the music teacher at church!! that's anotehr story!!!), and I will be needing some nicer outfits. Well, let's just say you can't find a cammy at JC Pennys' for under $25, let alone a nice dress. *sigh*. I went to the clearance rack only to discover the shirts I was looking at were actually dresses....really short dresses....when I asked the sales lady if there were any dresses on sale. She also pointed me to a nice dress that was 75% off (so it was *only* $72.00! Whata deal!), and I decided maybe our family needed some bath towels instead.

Down to the housewares department I discovered that for $14.99 (on sale) you can get a bath towel. A bath towel, not a lot of bath towels. *sigh*....ok, that's not going to work.

Shoes....well here's a pair of $15 flip flops (no...I don't think so)

It really is sticker shock to try to find clothing in someplace other than Goodwill or Salvation Army!!

I finally found a little rack in the plus size deparment that had blouses on sale for just $6.95 each, and I bought three of them. They are not especially dressy but will be nice for Wednesday evening church and for teaching in our homeschooling co-op this fall.

I get up to the register and hand the lady the slip my dh gave me only to find out that he was supposed to have cashed it in for a real gift card at the gas station. The gal who was working the checkout was thankfully sweet enough to put my things behind the counter while I took care of that, and also told me where to find the nearest Speedway gas station.

I went to that station only to be told they were out of JC Penny's cards, and they directed me to the next station, where they were also out of cards, where they directed me to the next station...and so on and so forth until 5 stations and a half a tank of gas later I found a gift card, and needed directions back to the mall. All this time during the driving, I was reminded of why I am thankful I don't live in the city: traffic, road rage, inconsiderate drivers, ill timed lights, and did I mention traffic??

Sweaty, a little irritated, and very tired, I walked back into the mall, to the counter, grabbed my stuff, paid for it, and moved on.

While at the mall I had to go to my favorite store there(The Franklin Covey Store) because the puppy chewed up my little bookmark thing in my planner (which snaps in on the day that you are on), and so I decided to pick one up there, since they have nice ones. I walked passed one of those kiosks only to be given the hard sell by some sales girl trying to get me to buy a nail polishing kit for some $50 (are you kidding me??), and telling me how beautiful my hands are (seriously doubting that--I had spent the last week in the garden, and canning, girlfriend), and so on and basically not letting me leave, until I became uncharacteristically rude with her. I really hate that. Why do people not respect you until you let loose the floodgates of your frustrations at them?? Why can't "No Thank You" be good enough to these people??

I walked across the mall, appalled at what I was seeing in some places...what on earth is going on with today's fashions? Yes, maybe I'm behind the times, but I live in a little town and don't get out to the big bad city much (remember, though I was raised in suburbia, for all intents and purposes, I am still country mouse LOL). I went to the coffee kiosk and bought a cappachino from someone who had more jewelry on her/him (I'm not really sure what gender this particular person was, which is scary eh?) to sink a battleship. I'm not sure how he/she walks or even stands with all of that metal. AND...is there a reason why there is someone has a cuss word tatooed on their forehead?? Is there a reason why someone would HIRE someone for customer service with a tatoo ofa cussword on their forehead??

As I sat down with my cup of coffee, a gaggle of teen girls, about my daughter's age walked up and decided to impress everyone (or so they thought) with their knowledge of vulgar language, tight clothes, short skirts, and excessive makeup. I immediately sent up a prayer thanking God for a daughter like Ruth and I've prayed for these girls on several occasions now....and yet, they didn't seem to be the only group of 14 year olds (approximately) who were running around the mall in what I would consider to be either a poor-taste halloween costume, bed clothes, or underware, using language that most street walkers of 100 years ago would have been ashamed to use.

Then I realized I was starting to sound like someone's grandma with my running internal monologue. Am I that old?? Or is the world just going totally NUTS??? Maybe it's a little of both.

all I can say is...after spending nearly a half a tank of gas, 4 hours, and much energy wasted fighting off rabid kiosk-salespeople, I'm not sure if all off that was worth the $25...lol

Too bad they don't give away bonus gift cards to the salvation army store. that would be awesome!

No comments: