Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Review: Joyful Momma's Guide to Cartooning

Joyful Momma's Guide to Cartooning is available from the Joyful Momma Bookstore.

Review by Penny Raine:

When I heard that Kimberly had a new book available I was so excited. But at the same time I wanted to run the other way. However when she sent me one, I thought, "there is no avoiding it now." Why was I hesitant? Because Kimberly's books are always so great they get your creative mind so involved you can think of nothing else. When my husband read her "Quiet Times In Loud Households", he wouldn't even put it down for mealtime! So when I heard about Cartoon Creations I knew it would be way too much fun and I just did not have time for something new and fun. As usual Jesus had another idea. As I began to read her book I began to think of ways to incorporate it into our homeschooling. Learning is only absorbed when you see a reason for it, so I like to give my children several ways of using what they learn. With Cartoon Creations I can now add cartooning to our list of exciting ways of showing what they have learned. It fits right in with illustrated stories and lapbooking and is lots more fun than writing a boring report. Cartoons even add to their letter writing abilities. I have always tried to combine drawing with writing and this fits great.
In true Kimberly fashion, she doesn't miss a beat, and includes every detail I could possibly think of. She even includes "10 Principals for Christian Cartoonists". Her techniques are very simple and yet show details. She even gives you ideas on how to share or publish your cartoons. I just have one thing to say, "Thanks Kimberly, you have done it again!"
blessings, Penny Raine
http://www.pennyraine.com

No comments: