Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Master or Servant? Tech in Balance (Part Two)

To read part one, click here

About three months ago, I lost my cell phone while at the grocery store. I had been talking on the phone, and put it down, and apparently forgot it in the shopping cart. I know. Pretty stupid. I was panic stricken as I called the grocery store, and they didn't find it but took my number down. I finally just took a deep breath, prayed, and trusted God would work it all out. I hated the thought of costing our family more money due to negligence. When I got home, my husband told me that he had tried to call me on my cell phone because he had just gotten an interesting email. Apparently since I had my cell phone for so long and my model of cell phone was so old, I was being given a HUGE credit towards an upgrade. Seriously? Woo hoo! Praise God. I was pretty geeked up to say the least, given the fact that I had deliberately ignored the latest tech in the area of cell phone paraphernalia to guard my heart.

Off my hubby and I went to the cell phone paraphernalia shop (my kind of date night :-)), where I got to spend my upgrade credits....and low and behold, of all the blessings that could have befallen me, there was a BlackBerry Curve on sale for just $9 above the amount of the credit after rebate. I almost wondered at this point if it wasn't a dream. I wanted a BlackBerry (a perfect mesh of my obsessions with both planners and with tech), but I knew it was out of the question at the normal price...but lo and behold, here it was in my reach. Woo Hoo and Praise God again.

Well, my vote is in. I love my BlackBerry. I love it so much that for my birthday I got an 8GB microSD card because I had used up most of my memory with my entire music collection, writing new ebooks on my phone, keeping track of recipes, my shopping list, address book, an entire Bible, and I even have Pac Man on there for when I'm bored, to say nothing of the fact that I can answer email while waiting in line at Walmart. I especially love that it beeps to remind me of upcoming appointments on my calendar. That was the fatal flaw of paper planners. You had to look at them and remind yourself, and I'm not always so disciplined.

But, there's also a danger here. My BlackBerry does so much for me I could stay absorbed in it for hours or days if I didn't deliberately pull myself away. As I said in my last post...tech in and of itself is not evil....but allowing something to be your master is not pleasing to God. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

In this world we live in, with everyone plugged in to their bluetooth devices, walking around Walmart like a bunch of crazy people talking to themselves, the irony is that this telecommunications revolution has brought a disconnect in the area of face to face relationships.

Do you notice the lady at the checkout? Do you smile to her or do you just continue to talk on the phone while checking out?

Are you open to being a blessing to those God brings across your path?

Do you unplug your headphones long enough to hear the Lord?

Make your tech your servant and not your master.

No comments: