Friday, October 03, 2008

Mountains and Valleys

I enjoy reading, among other things, Oswald Chambers book "My Utmost for His Highest" each day. Great little devotional book. Sometimes it makes me smile that how a book, written a century ago, seems to have things in it on just the right day relating to what I am going through on that day, or maybe a word in season to share with and encourage a friend who is going through a situation addressed. Strange how that happens.

Yesterday's entry (which I read this am LOL) was especially good. I hate it when you get to the mountain spiritually, only to come down and hit a very low spot. I've been trying to cheer a girlfriend going through just such a season...hanging out in the valley after having an amazing mountain top experience. Oh, bother. But listen to Mr. Chambers:

The height of the mountain top is measured by the drab drudgery of the valley; but it is in the valley that we live for the glory of God.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, October 2



We don't go to the mountain to live up there...but to retank for life in the valleys.

No comments: