Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Birth of a Soccer Mom

I'm not sure what happened, but all of a sudden, I am a soccer mom. LOL Literally.


We went to soccer yesterday in the minivan, and someone said, WHOA, Kim, now you are a SOCCER MOM, and I about screamed. Of all the sports on the planet I probably like soccer second best (Tennis would be first), but I never wanted to be a soccer mom--you know, one of those people who is always hustling and bustling to all of the different sporting events with each child, who can't remember the last time she ate together with her family all present? Thankfully for us, we all have soccer on the same day, in the same place, one day per week.



Today, I had to run my oldest up to church for some volleyball practice and teen choir earlier than the rest of us had service. As I was coming home, rushing about, I thought, when did this happen? A friend of mine laughed at me over this whole thing as she thinks we are the most "un-busy" people she knows...after all, we are not out running around every night of the week to different places with each child. No, thankfully, we're not, and by the Grace of God we never will be!



Even good things can be bad things if they take us away from things that are truely important. Maybe junior sports are the most important things to some people...I don't know. But for me, it's a priority to sit down and eat a meal most nights of the week with us as a family, and to actually talk to each other. It's a priority to not be rushed or so busy that we don't have time to meet the needs of others around us. But, it's one of those things that is a constant battle, isn't it?

1 comment:

ChicoryChick said...

Soccer Mom....so far I have avoided that....I told my husband I didnt want to be one. It is not lack of interest on my childrens part, they would probably really enjoy it, especially my oldest....but thankfully I have the great excuse of only one vehicle right now and my hubby needs that for his contractor business!