Sunday, April 29, 2007

More Garden Work

I did a lot more garden work over the weekend.

I must say, work goes faster when you have a teenage son! He can carry the 40 lb bags of peat moss I was using, and can help me dig up my beds to mix it all in too. :-)

This weekend what we did was this: first we cleaned out each bed of any weeds and other debris. Lots of things blow in over the winter and lots of things grow early in the spring, though not so much with the black plastic on each bed (mostly around the edges and where there are perennials where I don't put black plastic down). Then we took pitch forks and turned under the dirt in each bed that didn't have something growing in it, and then we added compost and some peat moss that I bought. I haven't done the peat moss in a while but my soil was starting to look really sandy and I can't seem to make compost fast enough for my size garden. We put a few bags of peat moss in each bed, and mixed that in really well, and then carefully worked it in around periennial plants like herbs and the strawberries. I also added some around my raspberries. I totally need to clean out the raspberries, as those are looking a little rough these days! it's getting really overgrown again.

I was really pleased with the end result of all the work we did. We got nearly the whole garden done in just a weekend. Woo hoo.

1 comment:

ChicoryChick said...

;) Can I borrow your teenage son? LOL! It will still be 8 years before I have one of my own....