Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Pet Project

I've been working some more on this very amazing and fun website design curriculum. It's taking a long time--longer than I planned--because it is not as easy as it looks to make a video. I thought it would be faster as I wouldn't have to type...boy was that wrong. Then there is me with a cold...I either have to wait til allergy season is over to resume shooting or edit out all of the sniffling I do every 27 seconds (LOL). It's very attractive, believe me. There's a must buy DVD--watching Kimberly "Soccer Mom" Eddy sniffling on video while talking about writing HTML Code in Notepad and fighting to not forget what she was saying after taking her allergy meds. I need prayer. I think if my husband wasn't being such an encouragement and constantly prodding me to finish this, I may never get it done!



Martin, my dh, did his usual, "Yeah, honey, sounds good, but I guess I need to see it" statements when I first told him of this idea. I was excited about it, but he wasn't seeing it. My husband saw the first few lessons as I Wanted his opinion and he was so blown away by it, he is now constantly calling me from work asking me what else I've done on it...and he has half of the people at work anxious to buy it. I guess that is a good thing, huh?



Given the fact that I did take some filmmaking in college, as it was required for art majors, you'd think I'd have known how much work this would be. I didn't realize how intense post production would be.



I was originally going to just have it be downloadable, but then I realized it would be nicer on DVDs in nice cases, and easier for others to sell too in this format, and it would be a pain for anyone with dialup to download. Ok, maybe more like IMPOSSIBLE and I didn't want to do that to anyone. So, I have actually found a place that will get me a great price for duplicating DVDs and creating a nice case for me. This is very exciting.



Being a little bit of an ADHD scatter brain with oodles of ideas flowing in my brain at all times, I proudly showed my dh the DVD case insert that I designed in full color yesterday. His brain can't comprehend how it is that I can spend so much time designing an insert when the curriculum itself is barely half done. Maybe I just needed a diversion--sometimes designing promo stuff for a work in progress gets me more motivated to finish. Woo hoo.

3 comments:

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Nice blog! Amazingly I am endeavoring on the same road you are, I have just conquered the idea in my head and shortly the work will begin! I was wondering if you might share whom you've found to do the DVD's. Also I remember you from AR's message board, I used to post up there and I remember your name. If you also don't mind me asking, how much time have you already put into this project, I have 8 children and would like to count the cost (I'm sure its alot of time from what I understand). The Lord must have directed me to you, what are the chances of me finding a like-minded mom who is endeavoring on a similar project? He is good and worthy to be praised! I also have a blog for encouraging women, homeschooling, etc., you can visit at www.proverbs14verse1.blogspot.com
God bless you Kimberly and your beautiful family!

Kimberly Eddy said...

Hi June! So what sort of project are you tackling on DVD? This is the first of many, Lord willing. I also have an idea for a DVD on how to do a nature journal, explaining drawing and water color techniques.

The place that I found to do DVDs just sent me a great package. they are called DiscMakers.com and they sent me a few booklets and a DVD on how they produce DVDs. I am doing all of the editing myself, though I may consider having them master the audio. Most of the Audio and Video are being recorded using Camtasia Studio (www.techsmith.com).

The time thus far has been about 40 hours since last November sitting at the computer. Before that and in between, I've spent many hours wriing out ideas and working through what I plan to do. Lots of this is in my bastion of creativity (a hot bubble bath with a desk I balance across the tub)...or jotting down notes whenever I am out and about. The thing that seems to take the most time is getting back into the grove when I sit down to record...and also as you probably know, whenever you turn on a recording device in a house full of children and animals, murphy's law seems to dictate that the noise level needs to rise overall. LOL (drives me nuts).

So, I would say, start slow. Storyboard your idea (write out what should happen in each section), and work through what sort of need there is and modify your content to that. All of that planning takes time, but it makes the filming and editing part go faster than if you are just winging it. I had to go back to the drawing board and do some of that planning myself. :-)

Take care!

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Thanks for the information, this will be the first of many for us as the Lord allows too. Im sure you have an advantage having taken some filmmaking in school---wish I had some of that under my belt, but that won't stop me since I am somewhat of a research fanantic. Are you doing this with just some basic recording equipment or are you going high tech? How much do you estimate start up costs would be to do something like this? BTW, do you still write for AR mag? I remember your article....