Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spring Garden Preparations

Hi Ladies! Everyone enjoying spring?



I am really excited about getting my garden ready. This year, my soil needs some extra attention. It seemed very sandy last fall as we were cleaning it out, and so I bought several bags of peat moss to mix in, along with the compost we have from our composter. Our composter only makes enough for a half of one of our long beds at a time, and so we need to try to figure out how to get more compost done at a time. The spinning composter definately is easier to use and gets the job done faster...it just isn't very big. So...I am back to making compost in a box at the same time as using the spinning composter, and then at least yearly I should have a nice big amount of compost for my organic garden.



We got some compost from an unlikely place this spring. About 8 years ago, when we first moved in, we had a huge tree cut down. Unfortunately, we never did finish cutting up the wood for this tree because of various issues...such as not having anywhere to really burn it, and our chain saw breaking...and along the way we have sold parts of this huge tree to folks and given some of the wood away too. Still, there was a few logs laying around (one was 3 feet in diameter to give you an idea). I determined, last summer, that I was going to get rid of that wood once and for all this spring.



When it came time to move the logs on a nice day (before bugs and weeds made the area, once again, inaccesible), my son and I started to roll one of the big logs only to have it totally fall apart when we pushed on it. This was a pleasant surprise! Inside and under the long was the more gorgeous compost/humus you could find anywhere, and we quickly shoveled it into several of the garden beds. Then we took the decompsoing wood and crumbled it in our hands over the raspberry beds (yippee, we don't need to buy woodchips), and the same happened for each of those logs out there. We had enough compost for half of the garden. We threw some of the decomposing wood into the composter with kitchen scraps and weeds, and it is in the process of decomposing now too.



This weekend, after a babyshower I am attending, I am going to turn under my garden beds, clean out the strawberry beds, and mix in as much of this peat moss, compost, and manure as we possibly can.

Right now, I have an amazing assortment of bulb flowers blooming--daffodils, tulips, a magnolia, and I see lots of blossoms on the cherry trees and forcynthias. Everything is greening up as summer begins. Woo Hoo. I just hope that we have mildly warm weather this summer not scortching hot, as we did last summer.

3 comments:

ChicoryChick said...

Sounds like you are getting a good start toyour garden. We are having a problem with having a limited amount of compost too...part of the problem is the chickens, they like to craw into the compost bucket (which doesnt have a lid on it, but probably should) and eat the things in there. Some of the things I would have fed them, but didnt think they would go for, plus they are probably eating the bugs that are helping it decompose, but the main problem is that we just dont have enough food scrap and stuff..... That was so cool about those wood logs, I wonder if I could get some from state game lands etc.....

In regards to the FDA - I personally dont believe they are doing it to be helpful, I think they know exactly what they are doing- eliminating the competition....but have to make it look helpful in order to get it to pass. Glad to see you blogging again, of course it has been a couple of weeks since I checked.

Kimberly Eddy said...

Kay wrote, "In regards to the FDA - I personally dont believe they are doing it to be helpful, I think they know exactly what they are doing- eliminating the competition....but have to make it look helpful in order to get it to pass."

It was said sort of tongue in cheek. The way they worded it, my husband and I said to each other...my aren't they just being so helpful to us all? (said in a rather cynical/sarcastic tone). The whole thing was too weird to read.

Great to hear from you, Kay!

ChicoryChick said...

LOL! I should have known you were being sarcastic.