Monday, January 21, 2008

Deep Discussions with My Teen Son

When I was pregnant with my last baby, some people would look at me and say, "Oh, just you wait! You don't know what you have done to yourself! You're going to have five teenagers at once!" At the time my kids were prenatal, almost one, 2, 4, and almost 6. Now they are almost 9, almost 10, 11, 13, and almost 15. And...it gets better the older they get. I especially enjoy the deep discussions I can have with my teens and pre-teens now, and hearing their thoughts on different things. What a blessing.

One of those moments came last Friday. My mom gave each of the kids a McDonald's gift card for Christmas, and so I have decided to use this as some one on one time with each child, going out grocery shopping together, and then to the golden arches for some artery clogging goodness and fellowship time.

As we were sitting there, a large screen plasma was talking about world events. Our tv doesn't get much in the way of reception so this is the first time we have had "the news" on in a while, and they were discussing the President's economic stimulus plan on CNN (which would mean a windfall of over $4000 for our family). My son surprised me.

"But, Mom,...that wouldn't really be a good thing, right?" he said to me. "I mean, good for us personally but not good in general."

"Why do you say that?" I knew the answer of course, but I was surprised that he had realized that "free money" is not without strings attached! too many people are already spending it in their minds, without regard to what sort of unsteady future this sort of spending and debt continues to bring to our nation.

"Well, it'd be nice to have that extra money....but isn't that bad for dollars in what they are worth? If our dollar is devalued, then just pulling more money out of thin air will devalue it more, right? Flood the market? If we have a deficit already, where's the money coming from?" he said thoughtfully. Living near the Canadian border, we had discussed how Canadian dollar is not worth the same as American dollars, and how at one time Canadian money was worth less than US money, but now it is worth more.

After a pause, he continued, "It's because it's an election year, isn't it?"

I was smiling. I am so proud to have a son who THINKS about this stuff, instead of just being excited about all of that "free money" they are getting with their tax refunds.

I asked him what we should do with the money that was coming to us. After a few French fries, and moments of silence, a smirk was on his face.

"Buy Euros? or maybe Gold?"


LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim - you really need to get him into Brian's Constitution Class! He's doing it at our church right now and he's been discussing the 'value' (HA!) of the US dollar right now. Many don't seem to understand or grasp the reality.

Congrats on using your McD's cards to have quality time with your kids :) They will remember and cherish the time with you.

YES, invest in gold!
Barbara

Huskerbabe said...

I keep asking people, "where is the money coming from?" No one seems to care as long as they get some.
I heard my senator on the radio say we will be borrowing the money and most likely from the Chinese. Hmm, something just seems odd don't it?