Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's been a while

It's been a while since I blogged. Life has just been too busy :-) but in a good sort of way. Our family has been passing around some sort of nasty upper respiratory thing and it has hit me every-other-person. Now that it has run its course through everyone, I am hoping this is the last time I'll have it. ~smile~

I found the neatest thing at a garage sale this past summer: a rotisserie. I just today used it (sorry no photos--I need to get some new rechargeable batteries, as mine no longer want to recharge), and we had the most succulent and yummy chicken I think I have ever tasted. I wanted to get it because I like gyros sandwiches and also sharwarma style chicken (a middle eastern thang), but we were given a few whole chickens from someone, and so I tried one of those on the rotisserie. Yum-o. We served rotisserie chicken with a side of brown rice and a nice big salad. It was perfect.

the only hitch is that 1 5 lb chicken is not quite enough for the whole family, and yet anything larger doesn't quite fit nicely in the rotisserie. I guess it is another one of those cooking gadgets that was designed for smaller families. It would work great if we had 1.8 kids. LOL however my teenaged son could probably have eaten the whole chicken by himself (and wanted to). Maybe I'll find another rotisserie at another garage sale, and then we can cook two chickens at once. :-) too bad a turkey wouldn't fit in there.

I've also been trying different ways to prepare egg rolls since I don't like deep frying them. Baking them seems to make them too dry (like "baklava without the syrup" dry!), and we tried steaming them this past week, only to have them fall apart easily afterwards (though to be honest, they tasted better that way--perfectly moist but not greasy).

No comments: