Friday, May 23, 2008

But, there are also benefits to inefficiency, too....

A few days ago, I answered a blog question about efficiency and being efficient in mothering and home business management...not that I consider myself all that efficient. I'm growing in grace in this area, let's say.

But...sometimes there are benefits to being inefficient too.

there's emotional benefits....

Sometimes, it's more worth your time to hang out in a fort with your kids, eating crackers and peanutbutter, telling round robin stories.

Sometimes, it's more worth your time to spend a few hours cuddling a child who isn't feeling well, or sitting by the sidelines cheering them on even though you detest sports and it's cold and raining, or listening to them tell you some amazing tale about what happened in their Sunday School class, or about the dream they had.

There's spiritual benefits...
like when the service goes extra long....don't be looking at your watch wondering when you can get home and tackle the next thing on your to-do list.

Sometimes it's more worth your while to spend an extra bit of time in prayer and in the Word, than diving into the days' tasks.

And finally, there's physical benefits....
Sometimes (most of the time?) it's more worth your while to skip the elevator and take the stairs. Skip the closest parking spot, and take the furthest. Leave your car, and walk. Hang your laundry outside.

As a European friend of mine often points out...Americans drive to each individual store in a mini mall, take elevators and escalators, park as close as possible to the door, use all manner of time saving devices, and then have to join a gym when the sorry effects off all of that efficiency shows up on their behinds.

Too true. I speak as one who has been getting my body back from obesity not by "dieting" but by eating sanely, and making choices like parking as far from the door as possible. 62 lbs, folks. JUST from "wasting some time". ;)

1 comment:

Mom of Five said...

When running errands, parking at a sporting complex, etc. I try to park close to where we will be exiting, but further from where we will be entering. By making my hike during the beginning, I am assuring myself that I will get in the extra walking, but my car is still conveniently close at the end of the day, when I am often carrying one tired child, and exhauted myself.