Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reading Dangerously

Boys. For the most part, it doesn't take much of anything to get my girls into some sort of activity that doesn't involve computers or TVs, but my son...he has a hard time just coming up with things to do on his own (constructive things)...

About a month ago, while at the library, our dear librarian suggested to me that I may want to get this book out for my son...it was called the Dangerous Book for Boys. I had honestly never heard of it before. We checked it out, and after I perused it briefly I passed it along to him...and he was in love. I don't know where to even begin...so many good, useful, mostly inexpensive or free projects (the treehouse...well, don't we all wish to build one like that?)...and hours where he isn't feeling bored.

I don't agree with everything in the book and there are some thing that some families may choose to limit (there are, for example, instructions on playing poker...though grandma has already taught my kids to play--with m & m's!!!--to my dismay), but most of it is good clean fun. Their You Tube commercial is a hoot. I'm not so keen on the music they used but the video is very humorous.



As for the companion book, the Daring Book for Girls, well....there were more things in that which I was not pleased about (palm reading, levitation and other sleep over things, and some other occultish things), but after purchasing our own copy used on Amazon, I promptly took it upon myself to either glue certain pages together, or paint selections over with white out to avoid any temptations. Again...after the intro you may want to turn down the volume because the music is a little on the wild side.

No comments: