Monday, June 09, 2008

Combining Passions

I love it when my passions collide.

Right now, I am doing a few different websites for people who sell herbal products. I love doing websites, and I definately love herbs.

Melvin's site is basically done, though he has a few changes here and there he wants me to take care of when I get a moment.

Judy also has a great herb website, and all that is lacking is some verbage for the front page. Overall I am pleased with the way that it looks, especially since I love lavender. :-)) (those are some of my lavender plants in the picture behind her logo).

Caroline's is a bit more complex because I am doing a full shopping cart for her, and though the layout is done, my oldest daughter designed the buttons on the site, and we like the look, now comes the tedious task of slowly entering each of the products into the shopping cart. This is something any computer literate amateur can easily do because of the GUI interface, and thus she's going to enter most of her own products, but I loaded in the first 20 to get her started. (Come back by the end of the summer for some great herbal products).

On Saturday, when it began to poor rain outside right as I was making some progress weeding, I sat down with my 15 year old daughter Ruth, to begin my search for some stock photos of herbs (at least, herbs I didn't already have pictures for, since that is a passion of mine, as I said). Finding some Almonds was fairly easy, as was a photo to represent "apricot kernel" (for the apricot kernel oil, which I will tell you now, is the ultimate when you are giving birth...it helped me have my 11 lb baby, Isobel, with nary a stitch--and to think I didn't like apricots before that).

Finding a photo for Anise seed was more difficult. For one thing, my Anise plant outside decided not to bloom yet (bummer). And, there are several things in the herb world which are titled Anise. I guess it is a very good thing that I know my herbs or else I would have just slapped up one of those hundreds of attractive photos of Star Anise (which is AWESOME in chai tea and some stir fry's and spiced rice dishes, I will add), or Florence Fennel (which is an Italian vegetable and among my favorite things to eat), or Fennel Seed (which is a major seasoning in sausage, and though it tastes similar it is something entirely different), and even Anise Hyssop (a variety of Hyssop, not Anise at all). The Anise Hyssop also looks better than a plain pile of anise seed too.

About half of the photos I found were of Biscotti, and Anise Cookies, both of which are also things I like to eat, which caused my daughter to get up and fetch us both a biscotti and cup of coffee while we continued our search. We had recently baked the biscotti as a birthday present for a friend, and of course, kept some for our family too. Anise flavored biscotti...buono.

I even found out, in my quest for a royalty free picture of Anise Seed, that there is such a thing as candy coated Anise seed...though it is unclear, because of the aforementioned confusion concerning "things named anise that aren't what I am looking for", whether the photo was of Anise Seed or just Fennel Seed, coated up like a dish of M & M's. People eat candied anise?? Seriously?

It got my daughter and I wondering two things:
  1. What does it taste like?
  2. Where do you buy M&M style Anise Seed anyway?


Rabbit Trail! After spending a few moments googling "Candy-coated Anise Seed", we got back down to business, and finally found a picture of a pile of anise seed on iStockphoto...and from there, moved on to Basil, which as you may have guessed, caused us to crave some pesto sauce. I volunteered to walk out in the rain to the garden and fetch us some basil for tonight's side dish, while she added the basil photo.

Needless to say, it's Monday, and we are still working on it. ;)

No comments: