Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Bread Freezing Questions

Joy sent me this question regarding freezing bread:

I have been making bread from your ebook
and am wondering how you wrap your bread. You books says that you freeze
you bread but that it must be properly wrapped. I was wandering if you
cared to share what you wrap your bread in so that it is safe in the
freezer. Thanks so much!


I usually wrap them in clear plastic wrap (tightly) and then stick them in a
zipper freezer bag. I buy some special 2 gallon freezer bags for bread, and
I just wash and reuse them. I usually get 2 loaves of wrapped bread in the
freezer bag, and then I get as much air out as possible too, as that keeps
it fresher, and helps prevent freezer burn. The 2 gallon bags work better
with loaf sized loads, because of the length. I have tried that new press
and seal wrap stuff that they just came out with the for freezer, but I have
had mixed results with it (and it's expensive!). In a pinch, I've also
used foil, but then you can't do any sort of quick thaw in the microwave in
a pinch that way ;).


Does anyone else have any other tips for wrapping and freezing bread?

1 comment:

Mom of Five said...

I have sliced bread first and then sealed it in a gallon ziploc freezer bag. That seems to work well, and the thawing takes no time.