Sunday, September 17, 2006

sprained ankles and unrequested down time

I have been doing a lot of work outside, clearing up the garden for the
year. Today I was out picking some more tomatoes, when I did something
really dumb. I didn't see a tomato cage lying on it's side in the path until
I had both feet in it, and I was falling down. Ugh. I hate it when that
happens.

First of all, I hate feeling stupid...nothing like falling face first into
terra firma to make you feel really silly, especially when it is the result
of not watching your step. My mom used to always call me "Princess Grace"
and it was not intended as a flattering term of endearment, but rather a
sarcastic reference to my lack of grace when doing simple things like
walking. I am a total clutz at times, though I've gotten better as the years
wear on. Still, It would appear that sprained ankles are becoming a yearly
thing for me. No, wait...maybe more frequently. Just this past spring, I
tripped on a rock and landed prostrate on the ground, thankfully throwing my
hoe clear of my body instead of landing on it.

Then there's the pain that is involved. Skinning your knee is one thing, as
we have all done as kids. But skinning your forehead and the tip of your
nose really smarts. I have a bruise on the top of one of my feet where I got
tangled in the wire tomato cage (yes, I was barefoot, as usual), and my
ankle is again swollen. I have been elevating and icing it all afternoon,
and taking Arnica Montana, which seems to help the swelling and bruising
when this sort of thing happens.

Finally, there's the fact that injuries to ankles tend to earn me
unrequested down time--time in the Lazy Boy, with my feet up. For me, that
is pure torture. I hate sitting for long periods of time doing nothing. I
couldn't even sit here and do something on the computer, as that would have
required me to put my foot down, and my husband wouldn't have any of that.

I have two large bushels of concord grapes that I need to can tomorrow, and
one bushel of tomatoes, and yet I know from experience that I really need
to stay off my feet for a day or two, to prevent this from being worse, so
this should be interesting. ;)

On a lighter note, I've spent a lot of quality time today reading Mary
Poppins by P.L. Travers to myself. I had forgotten what a funny book that
is, and how entertaining it is. I promised the kids I'd start reading from
Robin Hood tomorrow, but I think I'll read Mary Poppins next too! What are
you reading with your children this week?

No comments: