Thursday, September 21, 2006

Work from Home Programs? (Part One)

I get asked a lot of questions via email. One of the recent questions I Was asked bothered me in particular. You see, I was trying to have some residual income by having Google Ad Sense ads on my site, thinking this would be a great opportunity to both earn a small amount of commissions, and also help spread the word for like-minded sites on the internet. Sounds good, right?
 
Well, google started putting ads on my site full of "work from home" offers geared towards fleecing moms who want to stay home with their children. I have tried to change my settings, and things would be ok for a while, and then suddenly--whammo! My ads were again for work at home programs.
 
I thought I had fixed it once and for all when I got an email from someone that asked me which work at home program would I recommend for moms who want to stay home, "from those advertised on your website". My heart absolutely sunk, and before doing anything else, I took the ad-generating code off of my site once and for all. Instead I now just have links to products and services that I have personally used and recommend, mostly in the form of either affiliates or banner exchanges.
 
Sadly, I was unable to respond to the person who wrote to me, so I am hoping she is reading this. My computer crashed and I lost everything in my in box, which was quite a bother! I thought I knew the name, but I don't have an email address for anyone with that name.
 
So, what's the problem with work at home programs?
 
The problem with them is not so much the Working at Home thing--though we need to exercise self control there, as working at home can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how we handle it. We need always focus on the basics first--taking care of our family, and having time for them, instead of spending hours taking care of a business. A business can be every bit as much of a 'job" as going out and getting a job is (sometimes with a smaller paycheck, sometimes with a bigger one).
 
The problem I have is, after participating in many "great business opportunities that are perfect for the Stay Home mom wannabe", I have been out both time and money, and that in large amounts. Just recently, someone I know went to a meeting to hear about a great online business opportunity, where for only $1200 they will set you up with your very own website, and your very own company. That is so sad. You can do that for so much less! I pay only $10 a year for my domain, $10 for my DBA license, and $14 per month for my hosting, and I did all of my own webdesign. All my friend would have been getting in this "great deal" is a canned website, and some overpriced products to sell. And sadly, THIS is what most of those "Work at Home Opportunities" are.
 
Another friend's mom signed up for one of these, and got a "free" computer with it. She has to pay $500 a month for the next three years but was assured that this amount will "completely pay for itself". She's not even sure what she is selling, but hey, she got a free computer! (for the record, the most recent Dell Computer Catalogue has a fine system listed for under $500! There is a cheaper way, than getting a "Free" computer with your agreement).
 
But enough of the negative stuff. what about some positive stuff? Obviously I am a work at home mom. I do make some money online, and my business doesn't run my life or drain all of my time and money. Where, besides these scams, should a mom whose family needs extra money turn for some advice?
 
As you may have heard before, successful people do what they love to do, and do best. I love to write and to design things--and I do it well. Therefore, I believe that is why I am successful as a writer, and successful as a designer, without it being a drain on me or on my family. Think about the skills that you have, and how you might market those to fill a need that others may have. Businesses that are trying to do exactly what everyone else is doing are going to die, unless they are run by expert sales people--that's why some people do well in those programs and others fail. Also, it is much easier to sell a product or service that you really love and believe in, over and above trying to sell some products just for the sake of selling stuff and making money. If you aren't passionate about it, you are not likely going to be very good at getting the word out, and selling.
 
Also, moms especially need to learn to work smarter, not harder. When I was breaking free from signing up for work at home programs (I did like 10 of them, no kidding--I guess I don't learn too quick ;))....I decided to have a home crafts business. Well that is a great idea, if I enjoy spending every waking moment making crafts, and then going out and selling them en masse. There simply is not enough hours in the day for a busy mom to succeed in such a venture and still have a LIFE. On the internet there are many ways to make money without spending all day long doing it---finding products you really love and believe in, and then promoting those as a retail website, for starters, or selling a booklet you wrote (better yet, an ebook--low overhead!). As a work at home mom on the internet, you are not a slave to normal work hours or limited to only selling to those people in your immediate vicinity. I live in one of the poorest counties in Michigan, where it seems every other house is up for sale, and all of the factories are closing--but Praise God, I don't have to sell to people who live around me (who have no cash). I have had customers in Malaysia, India (Hi Anitha! Waves!!), New Zealand, Vanuatu (I had to look on the map to find that--but there ya are! Used to be the New Hebrides Islands where Missionary John Patton served), the Canary Islands, and I just sold several books to someone in Poland. The point is, if you have a niche product of high quality, and a reasonable price that people want...even if it does appeal to a small niche market...you have the entire world to market to, increasing your chances of success.
 
I could go on and on about this, but I won't. Maybe another day. But, here are some great resources (FREE ONES) that I have found recently.
 
First of all, there's some great Podcasts out there. What's a podcast? Well, it is sort of like a radio show that you can subscribe to and download on your computer. If you go to www.apple.com/Itunes and download Itunes (for free), and then click on "music Store" in Itunes (Sadly they don't always have great photos on the front page of their music store--so use caution there)...and click on "Podcasts to your left hand side. There are lots of good ones if you search Ebiz, or WAHM that may help. The two I love best are:
 
Work At Home Moms Talk Radio (that is weekly and it's geared to moms, with stories and interviews of moms who work from home)
 
Ebiz Vodcast (this is a video podcast that talks about websites, online store issues, payment acceptance issues, etc.)
 
Rich Dad Podcast (sometimes audio, sometimes video)
 
Entrepreneur Magazine's Ebiz Podcast (good general info)
 
Also, there is a lot of great information out there on websites like Family E-Biz www.familyebiz.com, which has a great free newsletter that is packed full of information. I also like the information (and products) at www.aliceseba.com and her other website www.internetmarketingsweetie.com which has great info about marketing.
 
Entrepreneurs-at-Home Yahoo Group (go to groups.yahoo.com and search for it) is a discussion board for budding entrepreneurs.
 
There is a better way, besides just signing on the dotted line for this exciting opportunity (and living to regret it)
 
 
Blessings,
Kimberly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.joyfulmomma.org
Check out our all new bookstore, with more exciting products to encourage your family, plus my all new ebook, "The Basics of Frugal Cooking"
www.joyfulmomma.org/bookstore

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Kimberly! Thanks for mentioning Work at Home Moms Talk Radio! :)

I enjoyed reading your post today!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an incredible amount of useful information you have here and on your other site. My dh and I are seriously searching for that "niche" you mentioned. It is possible his employer is selling the business and we will be needing "something" to generate and income at that point. Why wait until then??? So, we search and pray that the Lord would open a door. I especially appreciate the comments about children and what "they" can do to earn money. So many companies will give a young person a shot at a "business" because of their age and go get-iveness! Thanks for all your input and also for the links!

Have you actually seen/read the family e-zine product? Do you really think the newsletter is worth looking at? Once again....TIA!!
Donna O'. NE PA.....hs-ing mom to 4 ages 14,12,9,8

Kimberly Eddy said...

Donna wrote,

"Have you actually seen/read the family e-zine product? Do you really think the newsletter is worth looking at? Once again....TIA!!"

Yes! I really like them. I have a few of the audio teachings as well. I found that it gave me a lot of food for thought.

Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.