Thursday, September 21, 2006

Work at Home (part two)


More on the whole Work at Home topic....
 
These are some more questions I've been asked from others about working from home.
 
<<How do I find out which work at home program out there really is legit and will work for me?>>

As I said in my last post, I have only lost money on those work at home "programs". I've pretty much
done them all too over the last 14 years. I used to think I was a bad
salesman. I wasn't. I just didn't have a passion for what I was selling, and
I was unable to sufficiently fake that passion when trying to get people to
open their wallets.

What works is this: Find something you are good at AND are passionate about
AND love to do, and pray hard for wisdom as to how you can make money doing
it while researching whether or not there is a need in that area (ie, you
are not trying to do the exact same thing that 300 other people are
doing--which is why work at home programs don't work for the majority of
people who sign up--just those who are go-getters who could sell snow boots to someone living on the equator). If you are not PASSIONATE about selling what you are signing up for, how are they going to sell enough to support you? If you are not
passionate about selling mortgage services from some work at home company
program, how do you expect to sell them? You won't in any significant
amounts!

My husband didn't think he had any potential self employment prospects
(after all, what he does requires a machine that costs about half a million
dollars and we are a little short of that amount :P). Then he realized, he
is passionate about what he does, <I>but that doesn't mean he has to have an
expensive machine to share that passion</i>. He can train people (which I might
add he was doing for free to be a "nice guy" for the last few years when
people would call and ask for help, because he already had a great
reputation). He has developed a training module, and he goes into companies
that have just laid out the half a million but don't know what to do with
their cool new toy, and teaches them how to use it. Instead of giving them
the same training that the tech support gives (from people with engineering
degrees who have never actually ran such a machine but understand
theoretically how it is supposed to work), he gives them practical, hands on training,
catering to the accounts they already have, from someone with 20 years in
the field. He is also working on an ebook and possibly some Camtasia-powered
tutorials to demonstrate CAD programming for Wire EDM. For the ebook, he is
dictating into a digital voice recorder, because he hates writing, and I am
going to make it sound good on paper. :) Hubby also makes money by putting a
box for returnable (10 cents in Michigan) pop cans next to his machine at his
regular job. It pays for his gas for the week.This is creative money that costs him
nothing extra!

Just to give you some more examples of creative thinking, I am going to
share some things my kids have done. Just a little bit of ingenuity, and
they made some money this summer. All of these are simple ideas, not "get
rich quick" schemes, and all were incredibly successful....it just took at
little bit of creativity (And children who like to fall asleep listening to
Alice Seba podcasts and the audio book of Rich Dad, Poor Dad).

I don't want to give away too much (because it is such an original idea),
but just this past week my 13 year old daughter came up with a business idea
based upon this principle that I think is nothing short of brilliant. It is
based on something she is passionate about, a need that is as of yet unmet
in the world around us (or so it appears from preliminary research), and
that is within her budget and skills to start. For school over the next few weeks, one of her assignments is going to be working on developing this idea further, and developing a Business Plan in the process.

My son has also made money with two gumball vending machines. The first one
is located in a Tire store (where customers wait for their cars to
get done staring at the three selections of candy before eventually giving
in. If they are waiting too long they buy fresh gum when the old gum gets
stale!). We empty out the "loot" every week, and he grosses about as much as
me (he's 11). Within a few weeks at this place, he bought a second gumball
machine on Ebay. The other one we didn't find a place for yet, but my son
and I agree that right now it is also in a lucrative spot (it's full of
skittles and located next to dad's computer). We empty that one every three
weeks. Before that, we let people borrow it for their garage sale, and we
paid them 10% of the profits. It was full of quarters each time. Ever
thought of owning a vending machine? Cheap start up! Even a kid can do it!
Are you passionate about candy? Do you have anywhere nearby that would let
you set it up? Judah filled a need (something to chew on or eat while
sitting in a car repair place)--worked within his passion (can't resist a
gumball machine)--and shared it with others (sold the idea to the manager of
Kan Rock, and placed the product in front of a captive audience).

My three youngest children (ages 9, 8, and 7) came up with a great idea this
summer when we had our garage sale. Because it is always so hot and we are
always so thirsty at garage sales, when we had our garage sale, my girls
asked to buy several cases of pop, and several bags of ice. They filled the
coolers with pop and ice, and they charged $1 per can of pop (the cost we
figured at $0.30 per can including ice because of a sale). They also sold
Popsicles for $0.50 (they were bought in a box of 100 for $1.99, and we sold
300 Popsicles at my garage sale alone). After this worked well at my garage
sale (They made more than the garage sale did), they decided to ask friends
who were having garage sales if they could have the coolers at the garage
sale, and who can resist cute little girls asking this question? They
actually worked at 6 garage sales this summer. Filled a need (everyone wants
a cold drink while garage saling)--worked within their passion (they all
like soda pop on a hot day)--shared that passion with others (made sure they
took a refreshing sip when customers were around).

Be creative. Ask the Lord for Wisdom (James 1:5). If it's His will, He will pave the way, amen?
 

<<Can you seriously make money online, even with very little start up money (under $100) and what do you do if you do make
a living this way>>>

The short answer: YES, and it grows every week. Read on for the
much-too-long-but-hopefully-inspiring version with the nitty gritty
details...

I am definately a Newbie at this too (but an expert at failing at network
marketing programs and work at home schemes). I have been gradually
increasing my income via my businesses, and it has amazed me. My husband
and children are also breaking into the entrepreneurial game too.

The main thing I think I have learned over 14 years of TRYING and failing is
that we can't look for a formula, or a "work at home program" or anything of
that sort. We've got to be creative!

I have two websites. The first (www.joyfulmomma.org) I sell books and
ebooks that I have written on it. I also sell books and DVDs from other
entrepreneurs (those products which I have personally found useful and of
value). My niche is books, ebooks, and resources that would be a help to the
average mom who wants practical advice. Additionally, I have several
affiliate marketing links on my site which bring me in some cash from time
to time, though I have to admit that I don't market those quite as
aggressively as I probably could.  My second website is
www.kimberlyeddydesign.net , where I market my web and logo design services.
This past year, I have done 6 websites, with logos, custom artwork, and so
forth. I've done several banner ads for small businesses. I absolutely love
animating things. it'sbrought in a steady stream of income. I have tried to focus in on marketing
my web design business to a niche (those that want an attractive, custom
website--thus far my clientele has been freelance artists and musicians, and
one mom with a home business). I am by far not a "programmer" but I do have
an artistic eye, and I am trying to market to that end. I am getting ready
to revamp that site some more, now that I have grown more in my skills and
also in my understanding of marketing--but praise God I've been too busy
getting paid to do other people's sites that I haven't had time.

I have an upcoming line of products that will combine those two....video
tutorials for logo design, graphic design, animation, and so forth.  There is a need for good, practical, computer graphic and art
instructional materials for homeschoolers. I hope to fill that need.

The key is to think out of the box. Look at the skills that God has uniquely gifted you with. You have something that no one else has, that can bless the world, while at the same time helping you to earn some extra money (or even eventually supporting your family).
 
blessings,
Kimberly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.joyfulmomma.org
Check out our all new bookstore, with more exciting products to encourage your family, plus my all new ebook, "The Basics of Frugal Cooking"
www.joyfulmomma.org/bookstore

No comments: