Monday, August 11, 2008

Pesto, Pesto!



I always say this...I almost feel like I posted this before (maybe I have) but one of the benefits of growing herbs in you garden is to be able to eat things like Pesto salad in the summertime. Fresh Basil is one of the most amazing flavors in the world.

I start off by going out to the garden with scissors and a colandar...and I cut off several handfuls of basil, wash it well, pull off as many stems as I can, and process the leaves in a blender.

Added to that, I mix in some parmesan or romano cheese, some walnuts (traditionally, pine nuts are used but walnuts work just fine), a splash of lemon juice, and some olive oil. Salt to taste.

Cook up some pasta....rotini noodles work great, and gnocci works well too. Toss the cooked pasta with some pesto, diluted with olive oil if needed. You may want to chill it before serving.

Pesto also tastes good as a sauce on pizza in lieu of the traditional tomato sauce.

Yes, it's green. But it's good for you and tastes great too. :-)

No comments: