Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Potato Curry

We found some gorgeous red potatoes on sale at Country View Bulk Foods, and so we bought a 10 lb bag. One thing that these potatoes are good for is stews, soups, and chutneys (russets can't really be used as they fall apart when cooked...though that makes them good for baked potatoes and mashed potatoes). On today's menu: a potato curry.

I began by slicing up 2 vidalia onions, and 2 lbs of stewing beef, both of which I browned in a heavy, high-sided skillet.



I then sliced up about 3-4 pounds of those red potatoes, skins on, and added them to the mix.



Next I added my spices: Curry powder, Garam marsala (a spice blend), ginger, salt, pepper, and red pepper. I also stirred in a jar of diced tomatoes, and I let it simmer until the potatoes and meat were cooked through.



As an accompaniment, instead of rice, I used couscous, which I find to be lighter, and a good side dish with a curry.


I garnished it with fresh herbs from my little herb box on my window sill.

1 comment:

MRS MJW said...

Mmmmmm...sounds good!