Monday, April 07, 2008

Gas Mileage and Green Goblins

One of the questions I got a while ago (during my hiatus) was regarding gas mileage. I didn't save the original question so as to quote it exactly. But, the question had two parts. One, how to save on gas, and two, did I think ethanol lowered gas mileage. Well, I had to wait to answer because I didn't get a van until a month ago. :-)) (woo hoo, and thank you Jesus for the van!), and I also hadn't paid too much attention specifically to the mileage, other than trying to avoid using too much gas.

So, I did a test with my new van. I wanted to see what sort of gas mileage my van gave me anyway . I filled up to the brim, and then set the tripometer to zero, and drove it until I was at half a tank. Then I wrote down my miles, reset the tripometer and put some allegedly environmentally friendly stuff into my vehicle. I say allegedly because the nearest Walmart is near to a new Ethanol plant, and because of the STINKY AIR POLLUTION I no longer shop there. I drive an extra three miles in the other direction to go to the other Walmart (in Lapeer) with clean air. Anyway, I knew this test was not entirely accurate as I still had the regular gasoline in my tank (halfway) but I figured either I'd see no change or a small change. Instead, my fuel efficiency, driving the EXACT SAME ROUTE was 3mpg lower. When gas (even the "cheaper" ethanol) is over $3 a gallon, a 3 MPG difference, to me, is significant.

Later, this past week, I read a TIME Magazine article which talked about the "Clean Energy Scam". I found the article shocking and I am sure you will too.

A quick Google search using the keywords "Ethanol" and "Gas Mileage" turned up may interesting links, including this blog (the comments especially are interesting), and a Consumer Reports article.

But how do you save on gas?

1. plan your trips carefully. Don't just run to the store every time you are out of something, and minimize your trips out.


2. Get your oil changed, air filter, tune ups, etc. When your car is running good it will use less fuel. There are a few oil change places in our area that have special "ladies days" where they give women a special price on that day. Of course if you are married to a guy who likes changing oil and air filters, or if you are able to do it yourself, even better.

3. Inflate your tires to the recommended amount. A tire gauge should cost under $1 at the store, and will let you know what your tires are at. If they are under inflated, they will cause you to use more fuel. One year for Christmas I got a tire pump from my in-laws because I had a string of flat tires for a while there. It is one of my all time favorite Christmas gifts. LOL Very handy!

4. Drive the speed limit. I tested this myself. If you are driving too fast, or if you are starting and stopping, you will use more fuel. Some starting and stopping is unavoidable (eg, driving in the city), but try to avoid speeding up only to stop at the next light. Drive as evenly as possible. It's better for your brakes too.

5. If you drive a pick up truck, put a cover on the bed to help the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

6. Don't use the AC unless necessary.

7. If it is an option, walk, ride a bike, take public transportation, or car pool.

Does anyone else have any tips? I'd be interested in hearing them!! I'm always looking for ways to save, especially on gas.

No comments: