Monday, April 28, 2008

Reader Question: Dense Bread

Brandie writes:
"...I would also like to ask you about your bread recipes, i love making bread for my family and friends but i can't get my bread to last very long and sometimes it is very dense, so if you have any helpful hints i would greatly appreciate it."


Hi Brandie!

Usually the denseness means it didn't rise well, which could be due to not kneading it long enough or not having enough protein(gluten) in your bread. If you're using bread flour or hard wheat/hard wheat flour, you don't need to add any vital gluten. Pastry Flour or All Purpose Flour, or soft wheat/graham flour needs added vital gluten--about 1-3Tbs. of it, depending on how many loaves you are making. If you are making whole wheat bread, you need to knead it longer than white flour, to develop the gluten, which creates a sort of web like structure, working with the yeast to make the bread rise. I set a timer for kneading, to make sure I do it long enough. Sometimes it only feels like I've been kneading forever ;).

For very detailed information, see The Bread by Hand Ebook

blessings,
Kimberly

No comments: