Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Springing to Life....

There are things about spring that I don't like...the uncertainty for one. I don't like it when the weather tempts me with a few 75+ degree days only to snow a few days later without warning. I don't like nasty storms. I don't like it when garden supply shops have tomato seedlings ready to plant 2 months before the last safe frost date. It can be hard to walk past them and not buy a few to plant just in case we don't get one of those Michigan April Blizzards or May frosts. LOL I don't like how hard it is to focus on schoolwork (for teacher and student alike) when the weather is so nice....though thankfully with homeschooling we were able to chose to work even on snow days so that we are not going to be making up snow days until July like some students around here...Thank GOD!

But, compared with all that I love about spring, that is pretty insignificant.

I like how warm 60F feels after a long winter. I love the first day that you can open all of the windows without the furnace kicking on in protest. I love how unbelievably hot the first garlic chives are that you decide to use (milk!!!). I love the look of crocuses and later daffodils as everything slowly greens up. I love Pussywillows. I love the little red flowers on the hazelnut bush, ready to be fertilized by the long catkins that have hung under icicles all winter. I love my magnolia and my forcynthia bushes. I love watching my perienniel herbs go from grey to green. I love how fast kitchen scraps that frozen in the composter biodegrade after a few months of freeze, and how fun it is to put my feet into the dirt again.

I really love, having a size 11 wide shoe, going barefoot. My husband jokes that there are only two shoes I wear....tall suaede boots and sandals. It's true....but my favorite footware is au naturale.

I love how the birds go from cardinals and nuthatches to all varieties in just a few short weeks. We just saw our first blue jay!

I love the fact that there is a rabbit that builds a nest near one of the windows of our house, and so we are able to watch the baby bunnies grow. I am grateful she doesn't mind me putting traffic cones around the nest to ensure no one runs it over with a lawnmower ;). Maybe she knows we're looking out for the baby bunnies.

I love watching my cats enjoy, with everything in them, the sunshine on a warm day, while lounging on my porch. Just as a kitty-cat curled up near your head in the middle of the night is the true first sign of fall, a cat sprawled out on the porch in a sunbeam is the true first sign of spring.

Got some spring fever? Just a reminder, now would be a great time to order my ebook, Growing Your Groceries, and read it...when it is still too cool to plant sensitive plants but while you are fighting off that gardening bug....just $7.95

No comments: