Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Gardening Season Sale

I know it's been a while since I've sent out a newsletter. I've been busy
with home and family, as well as with putting in my garden for the year.
With all of the emails I received about starting a garden that will
supplement our groceries, I wrote an ebook, Momma's Guide to Growing Your
Groceries, a few years ago, with illustrations and instructions for growing
your own fruits, herbs, and vegetables at home. This ebook is on sale this
week only for just $6.00 (Regular $7.95). It's not too late to put in your
garden for the year, or to get started for next year's garden.

One of the joys of having my own garden is having fresh herbs, fruits and
vegetables available to me. My children are often outside eating pea pods
right off the vines, and enjoying grape or cherry tomatoes, fresh from the
garden. All of the fresh berries we get are a blessing too. All of this
bounty allows me to make some of my favorite summertime treats, such as:

Fresh Berry Popsicles

Put whatever fresh berries you have available through a strainer (to remove
seeds), and mix with a little bit of water, and some honey to taste (if
needed for tarter berries and fruits). You can also add vanilla yogurt.
Freeze in popsicle molds, and serve! You can find inexpensive popsicle molds
at many dollar stores.

We like to play around with different variations on this theme, including
our new favorite, Melissa-Pear Pops:

Cook several pears, chopped, in a small pan of water, until they are soft,
and pass them through a strainer. Make a strong tea of Melissa (Lemon Balm)
in this pear water and strain out the leaves. Let it cool and freeze in
popsicle molds. This is a tasty and refreshing treat!

Finally, Pesto is a special treat too.

Finely chop about 3 c. of basil leaves in a food processor. Add about 1/2
cup of nuts (traditionally this is pine nuts, but we use almonds or
walnuts), 1 onion, 1/4c. of lemon juice, 1/4 c. of olive oil, a Tablespoon
of garlic, and process until smooth. You can use pesto as pizza sauce, or
you can toss it with rotini noodles for a pasta salad that is packed with
flavor!

Enjoy the blessings of the Lord this summer with your family!

2 comments:

ChicoryChick said...

Those berry popsicles sounds so good, I will have to get me some popsicle molds and make some.

That composting technique sounds interesting, I think I need a visual to get the whole picture though.

Kimberly Eddy said...

Thanks Kay! I hope to have some photos up soon. I've been quite busy with gardening and also with soccer, so I haven't been out to take any. I also figured the photos would look better after all garden beds were neatly cleaned out from the winter LOL, and once some stuff was actually in the composters (plain chickenwire doesn't look right).