Thursday, May 17, 2007

Tonight's Frost

In case anyone is wondering why there is a frost warning tonight, let me help you. It's because I planted some overgrown seedlings in my garden! LOL I always tell people that Michigan's last frost date is two days after I put anything in my garden.

Thankfully I've only planted things that can tolerate a mild frost, so as long as it doesn't get too bad, we should be good.This should make the lettuce taste better. Lettuce likes the cold.

How do we protect plants from frost?

The simplest way, if you save your milk jugs, is to cut the bottoms off of your milk jug containers and wash them out well. Stick a stake in the ground near your plant, and put the milk jug over the top of the seedling, mounding the dirt up around the edge of the jug, as seen in this illustration (illustration by me for my book, Growing your Groceries, which is a must read!):



Alternately, if you don't have milk jugs but do have tomato cages and clear plastic, you can use that. Here's my illustration of that:



Happy Gardening!

No comments: