Monday, May 07, 2007

My Glory for His Glory


The Bible teaches, in 1 Corinthians 11, that long hair is a glory to a woman. Let's just say that I have a whole lotta glory...a little too much sometimes. A few days ago I broke the handle off of my hairbrush while trying to get the tangles out of my hair before going to bed...and yes, I brush it every day. My hair is just that thick. It's a blessing and a curse some days.

My hair also grows really fast...an average of 5 inches per year. Long, thick,curly to the point of wild, and bright red. I have a lot of hair.

However, there are those in this world who don't have any hair...little girls who have different diseases that cause them to lose all or part of their hair, and that is really hard for them. That's why for the last 8 years, every two years I've donated a large hunk of my overly grown mane to Locks of Love, which makes wigs for such children. They make the wigs for boys to but for cultural reasons, preference is given to girls as it is harder for them to walk around bald, than it is for a boy to have ultra short or bald head. These wigs look very real and the child can even shower with them on. Go to their website to find out more.

the first time I donated to Locks of Love, I had hair nearly to my knees. Yeppers, long, thick, curly red mane that was so long I could sit on it. Woo hoo. I was very proud of my hair, but with Fibromyalgia it was hard to maintain it so long, as my neck was on constant pain from the weight of my hair. Brushing it was a tortureous process that left me in tears every time I did it. After a while, every time I turned on the radio, I was hearing about Locks of Love. I was very resistant to it as I loved my long hair...and the Bible did say my long hair was a glory.

One Sunday, I was sitting in church, towards the back, when the preacher was talking about sacrificial giving. he said this, "It is not about money, but about selflessly giving whatever it is that you are selfishly holding on tightly to, that someone else could better use." I got up, walked out of the service, went to the secretaries office, grabbed a pair of scissors, and cut off a nearly 30" braid, which I mailed in the next day.

I donated it again two years later, this time only 10", and agian, two years later, another 10" through a local salon that was having a hair drive for Locks of Love. This past weekend, as my daughter and I were in Walmart looking at digital cameras, I noticed the salon was not too busy, so I went in and had them cut my braid off and straighten me up again..so I'll be mailing off another 11" to the good folks at Locks of Love. Woo hoo.

No comments: