Monday, October 15, 2007

It's so cold in Michigan today that....

....my kids have a CD in the stereo belting out "It's the most wonderful time of the year....." and "The Carol of the Bells"....

Maybe we need some creamy potato soup for dinner tonight??

My new favorite recipe for pototo soup (based on how my friend makes hers which is better than how I used to make it!) makes the soup extra creamy.

Start by peeling and cubing about 10 potatoes, covering them in water, and cooking them until fork-tender (do NOT spill out the liquid!).

In a stock pot, cook up 2 strips of bacon (if you are being healthy, turkey bacon works well--I actually think it has a better texture for soup!). Remove the bacon onto paper towels. If you used regular bacon, drain off excess grease, leaving only enough to saulte 1 onion. If you used turkey bacon, add a touch of olive oil. chop up 1-2 onions, and saulte until slightly browned. Add 1 finely chopped carrot, and 1 finely chopped stalk of celery, and cook until tender. Stir in 1T of flour, then stir in 1c. of milk. Keep stirring until it starts to thicken, then pour in the potatoes and their cooking liquid (Which is rich in starch!). Add some chicken, vegetable, or beef boullion (optional). Season with parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

We love to serve this in mugs, topped with croutons or bread cubes (great for day old bread), crumpled bacon from earlier, chives, scallions, and cheese. Yummy!!!

1 comment:

deb said...

This is almost exactly how we make our potato soup and my children love it. Sometimes I add corn or little bits of ham(if I have any) to the soup. Its a great meal because it isn't expensive but is still filling and tasty.

Now you've made me hungry for potato soup.