Thursday, December 27, 2007

Family Fitness Thursdays: 12/27/2007

This looks to be my last Family Fitness Thursday for the year.

After the way I enjoyed Christmas goodies this year, I am feeling guilty writing this LOL. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, pumpkin pie, and Christmas treats...how am I supposed to write about fitness?

No, I didn't do a whole lotta situps this week ;)

I had several people bring me food related gifts, which was sweet, thoughtful, and damaging to my diet (~smile~) One friend brought over a bag of chocolate covered Espresso Beans (heaven help my heart!).

Another brought me a box of Turkish Delight, which we enjoyed eating while watching Narnia on Christmas Eve.

Still another bought me a liter each of Italian Imported Olive Oil with Roasted Garlic Oil and Olive Oil with Oil of Basil infused, knowing how much I love food gifts. That one will last longer than the Turkish delight or the Espresso Beans (which I am trying to keep away from the kids!), but I did use a flavor injector to inject garlic infused Olive oil into my Christmas turkey. It was really good. I consoled myself with the thought that it was actually olive oil and not bacon grease like a friend of mine has used in his turkey before (Hey, I think I pinpointed the cause of your high cholesterol!)

But, onto fitness, right?

Part of being successful with weight loss and fitness I have found comes from also living a life of balance. In the Bible there are feast days and there are fasting days, but there is also every day in between. In our western culture, rich foods tend to be the norm for many people, and thus the increase in diseases that stem from nutrional excesses, as well as obesity. We can't survive daily "feasts" any more than we can survive daily fasts.

Those holiday cookies that someone brought over are just fine...just don't eat the whole plate. Eat one or two.

This coming year, I plan to work out more consistently (it's been sporadic since the weather has turned and with me having this horrible chest congestion thing that I can't seem to shake), and to continue to strive towards healthier eating habits. My big thing is eating breakfast...I have really backslid on that point. I feel better and lose more weight if I eat breakfast. The other area that needs work is drinking more water instead of just drinking coffee and tea (when it's cold I tend to only drink hot stuff). I find it's easier to drink my 8 glasses of water a day when it is not below zero! :-)

I am excited that I am still apparently losing weight, though when I look in the mirror, I don't usually notice. The other day my workout pants were sliding off so much I felt like most of the pilates video was spent trying to hike up my sweats. I am hoping to lose enough weight by next year to have a whole new wardrobe under the tree...Wouldn't that be cool?

My girlfriend Toni, who has lost over 80 lbs, just brought over some more of her fat clothes for me, and most of them fit. I no longer get depressed when my best friend's fat clothes are too small for me. LOL Two super cute dresses though are still a little small. They fit fine below the waist but the top is way too small, which is the case of most dresses lately. Some days I feel like I either have to wear a "tent" or wear things that pull in all the wrong places but are loose in the waist. Most of the time though I just wear skirts and shirts, instead of trying to do a dress. It is a goal of mine to lose enough to wear a dress and have it actually fit right!

I am hoping that with continued diet and exercise I will be able to squeeze myself into those dresses Toni by this time next year, or maybe sooner.

The weight I have lost seems to come off in batches. I will suddenly drop 10 lbs, and then nothing for a long time, and then 10 more, and sometimes I gain a little bit back, even without changing what I have eaten. However, I have lost 1.5 inches on my waist and another inch on my hips since September! Woo hoo.

No comments: