Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Start of Adulthood?

There's an interesting piece in USA today about a study that was done that discovered that, for most young people, 18-25 years of age cannot be considered adulthood. I found it a little bit amusing. I was pregnant with my second child at 25.
Once upon a time, 18- to 25-year-olds were considered adults.

That's a fairy tale now, say most parents of college students, and their kids agree in a new study that confirms "growing up" comes later.


Hubby and I married at what many called "a young age" (I was 22 and he was 24), and had children right away, but we had both been on our own for many years, for better or worse, before we ever married. Some friends of ours entered adulthood sooner than we did--a few much sooner! and some of them still haven't entered adulthood despite being in their 30s and 40s (and my definition of adulthood is about personal responsibility--able to manage one's own household, though I know many responsible young ladies who remain home until marriage but are nonetheless ready for the task of responsible adulthood). Adulthood to me transcends age because some people are responsible at a young age and some are still struggling at 50 to grow up. There are a few of our friends that are less responsible than my 12 year old son. then again, I've often prayed over my son the words of the 144th psalm...."Lord, let him be a plant grown up in his youth, and let his sisters be like grand cornerstones polished like palaces!" (v. 12)

As I read the comments there at USA today, I was wondering what the reason is for this phenomenon of delayed maturity. Is it just because we are all living longer now, as one theorized? Is it because of parents coddling their children? Is it because of the educational system? Maybe all of the above? Honestly I don't know either. Maybe a combination of all of those.

As I seek to raise my children, I feel acutely aware that these are not just children they are future adults. I am the keeper of a greenhouse where the young plants are being nurtured, and soon will be hardened off before the transplant into the big garden of the "real world". I often find myself on my face before God, begging Him for wisdom and for insight, and to show me what they need to become productive, responsible adults who living in a way that is pleasing to Him and beneficial to those around them.

to be sure, I wasn't really ready for adulthood myself...it was sink or swim. I wanted to go as an exchange student but I was scared out of my whits at having to maneuver around JFK International Airport, finding connecting flights. I didn't know how to balance a checkbook when I got to college. I sold a bunch of paintings and graphic design services,and later found out about something called taxes (Which aren't always kind to the ignorantly self employed who failed to keep receipts). I've already taught even my 8 year old how to balance a checkbook (they all take turns balancing my business checking account each month--and I double check of course, because "My 8 year old does my checking" is no excuse should something bounce ;)). They all know how to do laundry. They know how to follow recipes, and how to make some bare bones dishes (the older ones can make whole meals).

I want them to enjoy childhood while at the same time having an eye to the horizon where adulthood looms when they one day leave this cozy nest of ours to start one of their own. It's a hard balance to strike.

No comments: