Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Favorite Carols

This week, in our ladies' counsel group at Reformers Unanimous, our "assignment" from the group leader is to think about our favorite Christmas carol and and why we love it so much. I had to think about that for a little bit...but to be honest, I have several favorites not just one. You probably can guess that just from what is playing on the website (if you have your volume off, turn it up!!!)

First I love Carol of the Bells because I love the melody. I've tried learning to play that on the piano (I've had a total of 9 lessons now LOL), but have not yet succeeded it playing it both hands. It sure is pretty though! :-)

Then there's I heard the bells on Christmas Day, because I love the message...Longfellow's wife had just died horribly in an accident, and his son was disabled during the Civil War. The country was tearing itself apart. Longfellow's words are good for us today, in a post 9-11 world, too...especially as he resolves, by the final stanza, that "God is not dead/nor doth He sleep/the wrong shall fail/the right prevail/with peace on earth/goodwill to men!" It's a great song, and very moving. Google around to read the story behind those awesome lyrics!

I totally love Handel's entire Messiah. I have a CD with the complete Messiah in English, and then also a German CD featuring Mozart's rendition of Handel's work (Mozart, as I understand it, arranged the German lyrics and changed the music only slightly).

I really love "The Little Drummer Boy" since getting saved, because it makes me think of Ephesians 4 and Romans 12---giving our best for the Lord and using our talents and gifts for His glory, and to honor and worship Him. As a friend said when were were talking about it, "Wow, that's deep". I don't know about deep...but the song is a story about a boy who sees the astronomers from the Orient coming to see the baby Jesus, and he wants to see the little King but knows that he shouldn't go to see his King emptyhanded...He laments not having the same sort of lavish gifts which the magi have brought along, but then realizes he has his drum, and he can play a song for Jesus, and so he does. I use that song to remind my kids all the time...it isn't about doing something "great" for God because whatever we do for Him by faith is great in His eyes, no matter how "small" it is with human eyes (being kind and helpful to visitors, making cookies for a widower, writing a kind note, and on and on). That's probably why it's my favorite!

No comments: