Thursday, December 06, 2007

Lasagna with a twist

I don't normally like Lasagna. I think it is the Ricotta cheese, which I know is a little strange, since as you will see in a few weeks, I like to make Ravioli with ricotta cheese in it. But, for some reason I don't like it in Lasagna. That's ok. My Lasagna recipe doesn't contain Ricotta cheese.

I learned how to make this particular recipe of Lasagna when working as an Au Pair in Austria for a woman who was one of the best cooks in the world. It's very yummy, and it tastes even better the next day, and it freezes well in individual squares.

Since I am working at weight loss, I haven't made the likes of Lasagna in a while, but hubby was missing lasagna and had a hankering for it. So, to make him feel a little better on the day that he was at Jury Duty Orientation I made some Lasagna.

Start with a regular Meat Sauce, as for spaghetti:

Saulte 1 medium onion, finely chopped, in a T of olive oil. Add some minced garlic, as well as some fennel seed (optional), and saulte some ground meat (I used ground turkey out of concern for my waistline and heart :-)). I used 2 lbs, and made two pans of lasagna, but I don't think it has to be exact. Lasagna is an art. After the meat is sufficiently browned, drain off any excess grease (with ground turkey this may not be necessary), and add 2 large (20 oz) cans of crushed and concentrated tomatoes (or tomato sauce). I also stirred in 1 basil ice cube, and seasonings of marjoram, oregano, thyme, rosemary, onion soup mix, and salt to taste. Let simmer.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and prepare lasagna noodles per package directions (approx. 1 box or less per large pan will be needed). If you use no-cook noodles, this isn't necessary.



Prepare the white sauce (Roux):

In a medium saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter or margarine. Add 1/4c. of flour, and stir until a thick paste forms over low heat.

Stir in 3c. of milk with a whisk, stirring constantly until a thick sauce forms. Add a dash of nutmeg (optional).



Create your lasagna:

Spray the pan with non-stick spray and preheat your oven to 350F

Layer 1 layer of noodles, then white sauce, then meat sauce, then more noodles, white sauce, and meat sauce. On the top, add grated cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, covered, or per directions on the box of noodles.




To freeze, let cool completely, chill in the fridge for a few hours, cut into squares, and freeze in individual quart sized freezer bags. Reheat in the microwave for a few minutes.

No comments: