Thursday, December 13, 2007

Out for a Stroll

One of the benefits of not having a working vehicle right now is all of the walking I am doing. I wish I could walk to grocery shopping but with the nearest grocery store some 17 miles away that would not be practical. However, I do walk to the post office and to the bank, giving me some added fitness opportunities. I think normally in such cold weather I'd have driven the van if I had that option ;)

It's funny though to see reactions of people when you are out walking when it is snowing. I wasn't about to walk when we had the ice storm of course (BRRRR) but when we had a nice heavy snow with little wind, I had about 3 orders to mail, and I walked up to the post office in it. the weather was actually quite pretty, and I was enjoying a leisurely walk, being careful of each step due to the previous ice storm we had just had. At least 5 different acquaintences, mostly from church or the library, stopped off to ask me if I needed a ride, and persist with "Are you SURE?"

"no, no, I'm good. It's good exercise. Thanks, though"

"Well....ok. be careful".

I even had 3 total strangers inquire "why are you walking?" "Are you ok?" "Where is your car broken down?"
"Do you need to use my cell phone?"

and then a state trooper rolled his window down and asked if I was having vehicle trouble. Well, yes I am, but the van is safely in my driveway waiting for us to have enough cash to fix it, and I am out enjoying the peaceful winter wonderland on a stroll through the neighborhood. He laughed and said, "Ok. I wanted to make sure." I thanked him for his concern and asked if if it was so odd to see someone walking with their arms loaded up like Mr. Tumnus. "Um...yeah, actually we don't see people out walking much, especially not when it is cold out. You looked like you must have broken down somewhere." I thanked him again, wished him a merry Christmas, and went on my way.

Maybe if I got some snow shoes or cross country skis I'd look like I am out in the snow deliberately?

It felt good to get fresh air and exercise. I haven't done that as much since I've been a little congested and then also busy with Christmas program rehearsals, piano practice for a concert, as well as other little things. I don't want to undo my hard work during this busy season when I don't have as much time to exercise but everyone is bringing me baked goods as gifts. The generous boxes of Christmas cookies are a double edged sword. LOL

No comments: