Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Viruses--anyone help?

If you're wondering why I have been rather silent lately, it's because of some nasty virus problems on my computer. I am so frustrated I could scream (and have). I am resorting to working on a much older, slower, computer right now. I crave prayer. All of this is happening while I am still struggling with my badly injured and very painful shoulder.

A few weeks ago, I downloaded a driver for my video camera (with the permission of two different virus scan softwares!) , and shortly after that I had a problem with someone hijacking my web browser and Windows Explorer (opening all sorts of new windows all over my computer), and later my computer freezing up. I couldn't ctr+alt+del or even power down (I had to physically remove the battery to shut off the computer!). The amount of damage this Trojan is able to do seems to be progressively growing and advancing, to my disappointment.

Long story short, though my virus and malware scanning software keeps finding and removing the programs, they keep coming back over and over again. No matter what I do, it comes back.

We tried to do a system restore, and we ran the Dell Diagnostics to no effect. The tech people we called at Dell were clueless as to what to do too. Windows finally stopped working so we are booting up off of the CD Rom now. We tried to reinstall Windows XP but that won't work either.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, post a comment. :-) We have been told I simply need a new computer...but that is no good as I have clients waiting for graphic work that I can't do on this older computer (the programs won't run), and we can't get a Windows Vista computer as my graphics programs won't work with Vista either.

2 comments:

Mom of Five said...

I had a virus infestation like this on an older computer, and I finally had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall all my software.

Bethany Hudson said...

My husband is a computer engineer. When my mother had a really nasty virus like that, he had to end up saving files to CD, then wiping her harddrive and reinstalling her operating system. It's a huge pain, but it might be necessary if you can't seem to kill the virus.
~Bethany