Monday, December 22, 2008

What is your FAVORITE Christmas Tradition?


I'm curious to know, what sort of traditions do you have at your happy household that make this time of year extra special?

Some of ours include the Advent calendar idea I mentioned a few weeks ago, as well as our cute advent wreath we keep on the table. The kids like progressively seeing more and more candles lit each week, as we get ready for Christmas.

We love Christmas music...a little too much in fact. I had to make a rule that there was no Christmas music allowed until after my Birthday (October 29)...we also love to learn some Christmas music for the piano to play in church (our church has music students...no matter the age...play prelude Christmas music every Wednesday during December), and for grandma when she comes. This year, with my cell phone having MP3 capabilities, I uploaded all of my Christmas music to it, and I plug it into a pair of speakers, so that we can all enjoy it. :-). I set it to shuffle the music, and the mp3 player says we have over 1 day of music in the Christmas playlist. Whoa. that's a lot of Christmas music!

As the kids get older we also talk more about the Christmas story and asking them what the Lord is showing them through it. This is very exciting to hear how God is touching their hearts!! Sometimes we also talk about Christmas carols and the stories behind them or the message communicated in them. Much food for thought there. Many of those Christmas carols are powerful songs of worship. I remember the the Christmas after I got saved...listening to O Holy Night and just being BLOWN AWAY by the words...why hadn't I noticed that before?

We like to bake Christmas cookies of course. We really love Gingerbread, but we also like some sugar cookies. We also make some Gingerbread houses (pictures at this post) and gingerbread people. Going to be doing that today (While listening to some Christmas music of course).

This year I've had to slow things down quite a bit more than usual, because of my shoulder. The MRI came back "normal" (PTL) but the x-ray is still a concern, so I have to see a surgeon. That's scary to me. Some days it feels good...and then I do too much...and then it hurts again. So, by my husband's orders, I'm sitting here from my command post wondering what everyone else is doing for Christmas. :-)).

So, what's your family's favorite thing to do around Christmas to make it special? What's your favorite Christmas carol, and why? I posted about mine last year in this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never posted before, but thought this may be an appropriate time, since you inspired our new Christmas tradition. My husband and I don't have money for presents, so we've decided to give each other one gift (often handmade), along with a homemade Christmas Cracker (an approximately one foot tube with a one inch diameter) filled with a little gift (I got crochet hooks this year), something sweet (as in sugar), and -- this is where you come in -- little pieces of paper filled with God's gifts to us throughout the year.

We spill the papers on the table during breakfast, and read out all the wonderful things that have happened to us through the year. It makes us both very happy, and we owe it to you.

Thanks!