Monday, December 01, 2008

Our first day of Advent

Today we opened our first "bag" on our "Advent Calendar"! This part of Christmas is always the kids' favorite thing in the world. Normally, I use paper bags, but this year, I sewed some nicer bags from some pretty Christmas cloth, as you can see below!

I also made some tags for the bags that I wrote the numbers on. I printed these on business card stock, and laminated them.


We put our "Advent Calendar" up the staircase, and fill it with different goodies each day, usually some little, inexpensive craft or candy. Today, the children were delighted to find Candy Canes in it.



What special Christmas traditions do you have? How to do share Christ's love with others, including your children, during this season of the year?

We find that Advent is a great way to remind ourselves of the real REASON for the SEASON...the incarnation of Christ! God was made flesh, and He dwelt among us! Just the thought, if you meditate on it for any length of time will just blow your mind.

This is one of the reasons why I put together my Advent ebook, Advent: Preparing for the Coming of the Lord. It's a 4 week long devotional for families to help us to focus on the Lord, His first coming, and His imminent return during a season of year full of the gimmes. If you buy the Advent ebook before December 21st, you'll get a free Gingerbread book.

1 comment:

Bethany Hudson said...

This is a brilliant idea! My oldest is only 16 months old right now, so we haven't started doing advent calendars, but when we do, I will definitely be adopting this idea. I love homemade holiday traditions.
~Bethany