Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Jury Duties

Jury duty makes me feel quite conflicted inside.

On the one hand, it really is one of the foundations of our civilized society, and on quite the other hand, how on earth does someone support a family on $15 a day (In Michigan, we have no family friendly jury duty laws and no law requiring employers to pay you while you fulfill your civic duty).

as if things couldn't get any tighter at home, my husband was called to serve on a Jury for the month of January. That means a month earning daily less than he makes hourly. Isn't that nice? Even if he only has to go in a few days, like most people, our budget doesn't work with several days of missed pay.

...And he gets called every single year. I've been called a few times too, and the only time I was ever dismissed was for a rape case (Since I was a victim myself once too and have strong opinions about what I would like to see happen to rapists), and once when I had just given birth. Even my midwife had to serve the week I was due with my last baby. They even threatened her with contempt of court if she showed up with a cell phone or pager. Martin was excused last year because he had just started a new job.

We just have the jury duty anointing over here at our house, I suppose. LOL

We are praying they'll excuse him but that has not happened in the past, and that if we have to serve, that God will provide miraculously some other way for our family for that month.

1 comment:

Mom of Five said...

Fortunately for me and my husband, we will always be able to get out of jury duty. Dh is an attorney, and they would immediately dismiss an attorney's wife, lol.

As in all things, the Lord has placed your husband where he wants him. Perhaps he will be a witness or make a huge difference in the life of someone he encounters.