Friday, November 23, 2007

Tiramisu--my fave Italian Dessert

Tiramisu is one of those dishes that brings with it some sort of memory for me. I think it is funny how sometimes a taste of something can transport one through time and space and suddenly you remember a whole day's worth of memories that surround that simple bite.

Before I became a joyful momma, and before I was ever married, I embarked on the great adventure, post-college, of travelling the world. I only got as far as Europe and parts of North Africa and the Middle East, instead of circumnavigating the globe, but that is because in Prague, Czech Republic, the Lord Jesus Christ found me and filled my heart with such satisfaction in my, my wanderlust was cooled off. I remained in Austria, working as an Au Pair, and later getting a post in a Konditorei (coffee house) where I learned the fine art of being a Barista (someone who operates an Italian Style Espresso Machine), and how to make some coffee house specialties, including Tiramisu.

The first time I had Tiramisu, I was in northern Italy, and had just renewed an impromptu friendship with an Italian Christian named Luka, who I had met earlier in my travels. Anyway, we went to a coffee house, and as usual, the pastry waitress came around with a try full of goodies, and Luka grabbed the plate of Tiramisu, and said, "OH, Kimberly, you MUST try this!" The first bite was not what I was expecting--it was a little bit bitter. But by the third bite I was reminded why I prefer European Desserts--they have far less sugar than what we as Americans are used to, but usually the flavor is far more intense.You aren't just eating sugar flavored like something else--the sugar is not the main flavor.

Tiramisu, when I make it back home, is usually a little bit sweeter only because I have had people stop at the first bite and not eat any more...so I sweeten it slightly more but I still use the cream cheese, the unsweetened whipping cream, and the unsweetened baker's cocoa powder, and of course some strong espresso. I leave out that other flavoring Europeans seem to use in most baked goods (Rum) because this is not baked and therefore it doesn't cook off. It takes fine without it.

I change two more ingredients slightly. Normally Marscapone cheese is used, but that is hard to find here, and when I find it, it's usually expensive. Instead, I blend 1 pint of whipping cream with 8 oz of softened cream cheese to the same effect. Note, I said whippING cream not whippED cream. there's a difference. WhippED is on the left, whippING is on the right. :-)



Secondly, instead of using "Ladyfingers" cookies, I find that vanilla wafers are basically the same thing (different shape) and much less expensive ($1 a box, vs. $3.69 for a small package). Because the cookies will be dipped in Espresso, and will fall apart anyway, the shape, I feel, is irrelevant.

Begin by not only softening your cream cheese, but also brewing about 3-4 cups of espresso or other strong coffee. Don't use instant as the flavor doesn't come out right. Let the coffee cool to the point where you can put your hand in it without burns ;).



Beat the cream cheese until it is fluffy, and add about 1/2c. of powdered sugar (optional). Beat some more, and slowly add whipping cream while beating, until you have soft peaks. A friend of mine said to note that she uses Cheese cake instant pudding instead, and thinks it also works (this is quite a bit sweeter though).

Take a baking pan (glass works well), and carefully dip, one at a time, the vanilla wafers into the Espresso, and then line the baking dish with them. They will stay hard long enough for you to move them around, but work fast anyway.

Next, take your cream-cheese mixture, and spread a layer over the top of the cookies carefully, about 1/2 inch.


Take your powedered baking cocoa, and spread it with a sieve or shaker evenly over the cream cheese mixture.


Repeat the process for a few more layers, until you run out of cream cheese mix (number of layers depends on how big of a pan you are using).


Refrigerate overnight or for several hours. The dessert will firm up by then. Serve with coffee.

No comments: