Thursday, November 29, 2007

My November 2007 Reading List

I love to read! I've read a few good ones this past month that I thought I would mention:

1. George Mueller: Guardian to Bristol's Orphans
George Mueller is always an encouragement. His life of faith just blows me away, as does the legacy he has left. I've been reading this out loud to the kids.

2. Ich bin ihm begegnet by Hans-Joachim and Ruth Heil
I am so sorry that this one is in German and not English (I read at least a few books a year in German, in addition to my German Bible, to keep my German up). It is an excellent book written by the parents of 11 children, living in Germany, including stories about their life, their walk of faith, and encountering God in the every day. The stories of God's provision and protection always leave me encouraged, and Ruth Heil's humor makes me smile. Reading the book makes me feel as though we are two friends sitting together talking over coffee. If only it were in English so I could share it with others outside of my limited German-speaking acquaintances! I've thought about looking into translating and publishing it, if only that wasn't so expensive.;)

3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
One of my favorites in the Chronicles of Narnia, especially because you just love to hate Eustace Scrubb. We also read this one aloud.

4. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
I love Jack London. His books make me want to buy a dog sled and take a long vacation. LOL

5. What Smart Students Know by Adam Robinson
this was a recommendation by my Librarian. I had asked her if she knew of any good resources to help my children learn to take notes. That has been a goal this school year--better note taking/study skills. I take notes without even thinking--it's just something my hand does whenever I am sitting in a lecture, church service, or whatever. I couldn't figure out how to teach that skill because I myself am unsure of how it is that *I* do it! LOL This book, thus far, has enabled me to have a greater understanding of the steps. It makes me smile, as much of this stuff I do automatically anyway, but it is helpful not because it is a "new thing" but because it completely explains HOW and WHY not just WHAT.

6. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey
I'm rereading this one. I find it to be highly practical and very useful, even for a stay at home mom (most of his examples are however related to the workforce/business). The habits can be applied no matter your every day setting. Years ago, as a new mom, I found the book helped me to focus myself during the day, and get more done without neglecting that which was most important (the Lord, my hubby, and my children). The habit relating to acting and not reaction was especially important to me.

7. Cartooning by Polly Keener
this one is not so much about drawing cartoons as it is about being a cartoonist and writing for cartoons and developing ideas. My version of it (purchased when still in college!) talks about how some radicals are even using computers to make some "computer art"..so it's a little dated. But, I wanted to review some things as I prepare to teach part two of my co-op class next semester, on Cartoon Creations 2: Writing for Cartoons. And, one of these days I am going to start uploading some semi-regular cartoons for the blog. I've been drawing a cartoon strip called Joyful Momma, but it is still in the beginning stages.

No comments: