Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Month of Thanksgiving: Give Thanks to Magnify the Lord

Before I get started: my shopping cart is having some technical difficulties. I need the web host people to take care of something for me so that it will work again, and I'm currently waiting on that. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please join me in prayer that this will be resolved quickly. :-)

I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
Psalm 69:30


One of the reasons we are given to thank God is to magnify Him. What does that mean? How do we magnify someone?

Think of it this way, if you will.

Say you are in Paris. You are standing within view of the Eiffel Tower off in the distance. If you put your hand in front of you, you could cover up the Eiffel Tower with your hand, if you are far enough away. However, if you are standing right at the base of the Eiffel Tower, waiting in line to get on the elevator, you cannot do that anymore.

Why?

Did the Eiffel Tower get bigger? OR...did you just get closer to the Eiffel Tower?

Now, let's apply this to our walk with God.

When you magnify the Lord, you are so close to Him that you can't cover Him with one hand (or even both hands). You are so close to Him and He is so massive you realize you can't even begin to scratch the surface of who God is. When you stand afar off, we can sometimes put God in a box so to speak, or make Him fit into our worldview. We can make Him fit what we think about Him. We can cover Him up with our own view of who He is...but when we are drawing near to Him, the bigger He gets.

And...as we thank Him, and rejoice in what He is doing in our lives, the bigger He gets not only in our lives, but the bigger He gets in the lives of those around us who are hearing our hearts of thanksgiving towards Him.

"I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together."
(Psalm 34:1-3)

No comments: