Monday, November 24, 2008

Things I'm Thankful For (not necessarily in this order)

I have long since given up on my traditional "A Month of Thanksgiving" posts where I post about the different Bible commands to give thanks to the Lord. I totally messed it up this year, but oh well. :-) There's always next year, right?

But I was just thinking about all of the things I am thankful for, and I wanted to post about that. These aren't in any particular order...just off the top of my head.

I'm thankful that 18 years ago last August, the Lord found me, saved me, and has been at work in my life to make me more and more into His image. I think it is an understatement to say that I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for that. The me I am today and the me I was 18 years ago (or even 10 years ago) are not the same people, and I am thankful for that.

I am thankful that I am married to a guy who is willing to support his family even when it is hard and stressful, and even when, in a bad economy, that means he has to drive an insane amount to go to work.

I am thankful for five healthy, smart, beautiful children who all have a heart to serve the Lord and who are a real blessing. I am thankful that I was able to have any children at all...when I was 19 I had such a bad case of chicken pox, combined with some other health issues, that the doctors told me I never would....but here we are.

I am thankful that my lupus stayed in remission the whole year. \o/

I am thankful my in laws have finally decided that driving around is not a good idea (it was getting scary and they were unwilling to let go of the car keys)

I am thankful for those big, fluffy snowflakes outside of my window that look like cotton balls.

I am thankful for the freedoms we have here in America.

Though the vote didn't go as I would have preferred, I am thankful that we live in a country where we get the privledge to vote for our leaders.

I am thankful for my BlackBerry (LOL)

I am thankful my husband and I got to go on a marriage retreat this year.

I am thankful for teenagers.

I am thankful that God is my provider.

I am thankful for the car the Lord just provided Martin. Sure, it's not what he'd prefer, but it is great on gas and runs well

I am thankful for children who know how to cook, and how to cook well.

I am thankful that generous people donate to food pantries. I am thankful that this year (unlike last), we don't need a Thanksgiving box from the food pantry, but I am thankful that I am able to instead donate this year to one.

I am thankful that things are looking up in my husband's job and that he got his first raise in years recently.

I am thankful that I understand Algebra, and am able to explain it to my kids. ;)

I am thankful that gas prices are well under $2 a gallon.

I am thankful to live in Michigan, surrounded by all of this beauty

I am thankful for a good church, with sound preaching, and others who are able to be a good example to my kids, supporting, rather than undermining, what I am doing at home. After years of being in a host of "really really bad" churches, being here for the last 7 years is a blessing. I am thankful for Godly youth leaders and godly sunday school teachers that work with instead of against me.

I am thankful that my daughter, Isobel, is going to be baptized.

I am thankful we celebrated the Lord's Supper last night.

I am thankful that all of my Christmas music (and then some) fits onto my blackberry, with room to spare. ;))

I am thankful for Christmas music.

I am thankful for the pretty coat my husband bought me....my first in 12 years (I was pregnant with Anastasia last time I got a new coat...and I sewed it myself!)

I am thankful that Anastasia is turning 12 on Friday, and that she has a heart for missions and for the Chinese people.

I am thankful for the opportunity to publish and sell my writings.

I am thankful for the opportunities God has for me in the coming year.

I am thankful my Christmas shopping is done.

I am thankful for kids who are diligent and eager to learn.

I am thankful for the opportunity to manage the church website.

I am thankful I already wrapped my Christmas presents.

I am thankful that "every kiss" does NOT begin with a trip to some lame Jewelry store (my husband says "AMEN". I really hate those commercials, don't you? I am thankful that I got a new wedding ring this year...that looks really nice...but cost less than a new book.

I am thankful for Skype, which lets me keep in touch with family and friends far away, nearly "face to face"

I am thankful for the opportunity to teach art at our homeschool co-op

I am thankful for the Internet. I am even more thankful that I don't have dialup. I am thankful the phone company gave us a sweet deal on phone and internet for a super low price.

I am thankful for Digital Cameras because film is expensive and kids love taking pictures.

I am thankful for my clawfoot bathtub, and for hot running water, as most of the rest of the world is not so blessed.

I am thankful for the opportunity to learn how to play piano. I am also thankful for the electric "portable grand" yamaha piano keyboard that was gifted to me 2 years ago. I am thankful to get to play piano specials for church on occasion, and for children who do the same.

I am thankful that we still have a roof over our heads.

I am thankful to the Lord for His goodness towards me, and His mercy endureth forever!

How about you?

No comments: